Official Review: When Time Stood Still by Gisela Roediger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: When Time Stood Still by Gisela Roediger

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Time Stood Still" by Gisela Roediger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Always, when reading a story from WWII, I cheer the allies and clench my fists at the Germans. However, I received another viewpoint when reading When Time Stood Still. The author, Gisela Roediger was a native German when the war broke out. Like the other German young people, Gisela had grown up in the Hitler Youth and was fiercely nationalistic. As a secretary in a dreary Hamburg office when the bombs fell, she enlisted in the armed forces to escape living in a war zone. Told in her own words, Gisela’s story starts with the Allied bombing of Hamburg and finishes after the war is over.

Against the backdrop of war, comes a story of sweet love and a reminder that not all Germans were monsters. I enjoyed the first-person perspective, including the thoughts and emotions behind the words and actions. I also loved the innocent love story. Hindsight being able to afford a fuller understanding of situations, it was sometimes difficult to comprehend that a person could have lived through that war and not perceived the atrocities that happened. In Gisela’s defense, she lived in Russia for a significant portion of the war and received only propaganda news.

The one flaw with the story is found in Gisela’s apparent naiveté. She did not appear to fully grasp the significance of the time in which she lived. That may be due to her relatively young age (or the lack of social media), but I tend to give more credit to modern 20-somethings in their ability to comprehend world events. I feel that Gisela was a young person who wanted to fully enjoy life but was born in the wrong country and the wrong time period.

Gisela’s writing style is easy to read. You feel as though you personally know the people she writes about. She does not gloss over character flaws or artificially inflate anyone’s overall character and personality. The pacing was enjoyable, not too fast or too slow, but unfolded as it would in real life with suspense occurring naturally as Gisela waited impatiently for an event or news of an event.

When Time Stood Still deliberately left out most of the horrors of war and rather focused on Gisela's love story as the central plot. Although this was ultimately a romance, it was definitely chaste enough that I would be comfortable recommending this to nearly any age. However, younger readers would not have the background information necessary to fully appreciate a book from this time period, particularly an autobiography, so I would recommend this only for teens and older.

Finally, I give this 4 out of 4 stars. While it did not change my mind about the human disaster that took place during WWII, it is a solid story that provides an intimate look into the mind of one young person—who could have been any of us—during one of the world’s darkest moments. We have read much about the great wars. The stories from the second great war have simultaneously transfixed and horrified us. How one nation could perpetrate such horror on humans is unimaginable, yet if we deny the truths from that time, surely we would more easily be a willing future participant if history were to repeat.

When Time Stood Still
View: on Bookshelves

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Wow! A book from a German's viewpoint! How different. I love that you say she doesn't gloss over character flaws, flat characters bore me stiff, I'm highly interested in this book. Thank you for your review green striped giraffe :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think I've read a book about WWII from the German side like this. It sounds quite intriguing. Although, like you, it wouldn't make me forget the atrocities that happened.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JOELEKURI
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by JOELEKURI »

Well, war movies and stories really move me with compassion into tears and i must say they break my heart knowing someone has to lose or lost a loved one really is very saddening even though this may not be the case here. laughing loud
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

Great review. I was asked today about current affairs of where I live (a small Caribbean island) and I honestly had no idea about many of the stuff that I was asked - Minister of Education, Public Works, Foreign affairs, ect. I just didn't know. The naivete you speak of doesn't surprise me. Great review though!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

This book sounds like an amazing one. I love reading that revolve around Hitler and the war. Thank you for your review.
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
wright
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wright »

this is such am amazing and as well a mind blowing writeup. the setup was awesome and I like reading stories about war and disaster.
although most war story are heart touching; they also shows reality as well.
this content was easy to read and the writer was very detailed in this book.
MNCEDISI
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by MNCEDISI »

Wow, the book must be a real testimony!. I love where it is coming from, a German point of view. I did history concerning WWII in high school and obviously German was the villain! In this review I love the mentioning of the 'not all Germans are monsters'. This probably alludes to the fact that the narrator was different from the hush, arrogant Nazi radicals. Thank you for the review, its certainly inspiring. 8-)
Nnabest
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele

Post by Nnabest »

This writeup is awesome, I love reading books that talk about wars and disaster, though, the loses are usually very painful. I love the courage of the writer. Its a nice one
Paulongoro
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulongoro.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Paulongoro »

The book sounds interesting. I have not read any about WWII in German perspective. It is a must read book! Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
larryn
Currently Reading:

Post by larryn »

the book takes me back to history of world wars which are interesting facts to know though it was sad losing lives massively. good work indeed.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Not one side ever wins in a war, as both sides will always have tragic stories. Thank you for giving an honest review for an autobiography during controversial times. I think the title When Time Stood Still really makes sense in the story.
-rk
Kosgei C Judith
Favorite Author: Ronelle Antoinette
Bookshelf Size: 6
fav_author_id: 42445

Post by Kosgei C Judith »

The book is awesome,, because i usually find scary to read war stories because most of them characters end up dead, but fot this it is fantastic
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

kandscreeley wrote:I don't think I've read a book about WWII from the German side like this. It sounds quite intriguing. Although, like you, it wouldn't make me forget the atrocities that happened.
I've never really read anything from the German side either. Now, I'm reading one about the aftermath of German invasion of Poland!! Some good perspectives in that one too.

-- 10 Jul 2017, 10:46 --
raikyuu wrote:Not one side ever wins in a war, as both sides will always have tragic stories. Thank you for giving an honest review for an autobiography during controversial times. I think the title When Time Stood Still really makes sense in the story.
You are correct in this. War is really a tragic situation no matter what. A lot of people suffer due to decisions made by others.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Pkiprono

Post by Pkiprono »

It gives memory of the war and life during those days.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”