Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Role Reversal by Iris Waichler, MSW, LCSW

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Role Reversal by Iris Waichler, MSW, LCSW

Post Number:#1 by kimmyschemy06
» 03 Jul 2017, 02:28

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Role Reversal" by Iris Waichler, MSW, LCSW.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by kimmyschemy06
Share This Review

Role Reversal: How to Take Care of Yourself and Your Aging Parents is a very informative and helpful book about caregiving written by Iris Waichler, MSW, LCSW.

The book is a cornucopia of information, tips and advice based on the author’s forty years of professional expertise and personal experience caring for her father. It is divided into two parts. The first part tells about the author’s father: his relationship with his parents and siblings, his military life, his work values, his wife and children and his final years. His life story is told alternately with information as well as personal advice from the author which are based on her experiences both as a medical social worker and as a daughter who watched her father advance in age. The second part is a set of valuable information and tips on important matters like hospital and insurance bills, nursing homes, estate planning, legal documents, funeral arrangements and more.

This is a well written, well-researched and well-referenced book not only for professional caregivers but also, and probably more importantly, for adult children of elderly parents who are presently or may (in the future) be caring personally for their senior loved ones. The author emphasizes how important it is, to them as well as to us, to listen to our parents as they tell us the story of their lives. The author also shares her family’s experience as they dealt with her mother’s debilitating illness, the pain they all went through as they watched their loved one deteriorate from the warm, caring and loving mother to the unrecognizable person she became.

Besides the management of hospital bills and insurance, the author brings up a very important but sensitive topic that, probably, all adult children find difficult to talk about, the death, and ultimately, the funeral arrangement of a deceased parent. Equally important are some issues that might arise after the passing of an elderly loved one like estate planning and dividing possessions.

As a daughter of an elderly parent, I find this book very relatable and I felt lucky to have chosen this book to review. It is informative and helpful, easy to read and understand, but most importantly, the tone conveys the author’s deep understanding of what adult children are going through. What I like most about the book, however, is the emphasis on parent-child relationship. How to deal with ailing elderly, how to find the right caregiver and how to decide on a nursing home depends on how much or how little we know our parents and how close we are to them. The title itself ‘Role Reversal’ signifies the bond between the parent and the child, that at some point in their lives it is the child who will do the caring for her parent the way her parent cared for her when she was a child.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is helpful, informative, well-written and well-researched and I recommend it to everyone who cares about his or her parent.

Role Reversal
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "Science Deepens Faith" by Thomas McAvoy
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Domestic Violence in Lebanon
Bookshelf Size: 326 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 78%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Role Reversal by Iris Waichler, MSW, LC

Post Number:#2 by raikyuu
» 14 Jul 2017, 18:40

This is really relatable, and the topic isn't usually talked about. Seems like a practical kind of book. Thank you for the review.
What should I do with my life?

"You don't have to do anything."
raikyuu

Favorite Book: The Republic
Currently Reading: A History of Western Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 32 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 14 Jul 2017, 19:29

It definitely looks like there's a lot of important information in this book. A lot of us have parents getting older and need this information. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Broadway Dream" by Jane Hill
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 82 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 65%

Post Number:#4 by kimmyschemy06
» 14 Jul 2017, 21:58

raikyuu wrote:This is really relatable, and the topic isn't usually talked about. Seems like a practical kind of book. Thank you for the review.

Really relatable since most of us have aging or aged parents :)

-- 14 Jul 2017, 21:59 --

kandscreeley wrote:It definitely looks like there's a lot of important information in this book. A lot of us have parents getting older and need this information. Thanks for the review.

Very helpful and informative especially for those who have aged parents :)
kimmyschemy06

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by SamiraYusupova
» 15 Jul 2017, 08:21

Where is texts of hall book
SamiraYusupova

Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 2 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by JOELEKURI
» 15 Jul 2017, 09:59

true as the reviewer says, it really is an informative book. the details are not merely as intended for storytelling alone but the reality of life.
JOELEKURI

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

Post Number:#7 by Dennesejuleen
» 15 Jul 2017, 20:11

This book is great I'm glad I took the time to review it, I had the experience when I lost my brother in 2012.
Dennesejuleen

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#8 by LivreAmour217
» 16 Jul 2017, 12:29

Nice review. This book definitely sounds helpful. As much as I hate to think about it, it's very likely that I may be taking care of an elderly parent or in-law someday, so it's good to know that there are resources out there like this book.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217's Latest Review: "Green Lady" by Jennifer Julander
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books

Post Number:#9 by Quirinius
» 16 Jul 2017, 13:13

Fantastic review. Am educated to start reading the book.
Quirinius

Favorite Book: The Limitless Real Estate Leader
Currently Reading: Stars in the Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 142 books
Goal Completion: 90%

Post Number:#10 by annapolisgarage
» 17 Jul 2017, 03:10

Local Garage Door Repair company specializing in Residential Garage Door Repairs and Installations as well as offering a host of additional services including, spring repair, garage maintenance, opener installation, cable repair and 24 hour emergency garage door repair. Our focus is geared at providing exceptional customer service, we ensure that our customers receive safe, dependable and professional services rendered. All our technicians are hand picked and specially equipped with vast expertise, therefore enabling them to execute precise workmanship. We affiliate with trusted and sought after brands, Amarr and Wayne Dalton indicating our stance on the importance of quality. We offer SAME DAY SERVICE and our skilled and knowledgeable technicians are on call 7 days a week to assist with any garage door requirements. We operate in Annapolis,MD and service surrounding areas. Call us at, (410) 317-8382 for more information.
annapolisgarage

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#11 by kimmyschemy06
» 18 Jul 2017, 03:49

JOELEKURI wrote:true as the reviewer says, it really is an informative book. the details are not merely as intended for storytelling alone but the reality of life.

So true. Most of us will go through this and this is one very helpful book when that time comes.

-- 18 Jul 2017, 03:50 --

Dennesejuleen wrote:This book is great I'm glad I took the time to review it, I had the experience when I lost my brother in 2012.

It, sure, is great. Sorry about your brother and thanks for the comment.

-- 18 Jul 2017, 03:51 --

LivreAmour217 wrote:Nice review. This book definitely sounds helpful. As much as I hate to think about it, it's very likely that I may be taking care of an elderly parent or in-law someday, so it's good to know that there are resources out there like this book.

Thank you. It really is helpful since most of us will surely be taking care of our elderly someday.

-- 18 Jul 2017, 03:53 --

Quirinius wrote:Fantastic review. Am educated to start reading the book.

Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
kimmyschemy06

View Reviewer Page