Official Review: Tau Bada by John E Quinlan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Tau Bada by John E Quinlan

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tau Bada" by John E Quinlan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ese dear reader Ese. Welcome. John Quinlan heard these words of welcome on many occasions during his visits to the Papa New Guinean villages by the natives that lived there, and therefore so too do I welcome you to read this review of Tau Bada. This is a tale of failure, humility, perseverance, and vulnerability. It is a story that delves into self-reflection, business principles, philosophy, and many other themes packed into this quite powerful non-fiction memoir.

This book follows the life, trials, and tribulations of the author, John E Quinlan, as he embarks on many different journeys of his life. In particular, he describes the adventures that he had following the failure of his company and his most recent divorce. As John jumps on his prized Harley Davidson, he thinks he is simply embarking on a ride across the country. Little does he know that a stop in a Colorado Ranch for a shot of whiskey would change the rest of his life forever. Meeting Fiona at that place and time in his life tossed John into a whirlwind of change that would literally alter his life as he knew it. Not being able to get this Papa New Guinean beauty out of his mind, he eventually makes his way to the Indian Ocean and begins the next chapter of his life. He starts off by trying his hand at a fishing business, but the personalities of the region and the nature of the business itself don't work out for John. Next, and for most of the book, he creates a coffee and chile company on the remote Managalas Plateau of the island. The book goes through the adventures, unique challenges, innate difficulties, cultural missteps, and sometimes successes that John went through during these years. He outlines for you, dear reader, the challenges in dealing with the locals, the beauty of the plateau, the unique experience of living in a place like this, and the pitfalls of trying to run a business in that exact environment.

No one can deny that John E Quinlan has led an interesting life. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about his exploits and adventures as he tries to implement Western business practices into a place like Papa New Guinea. As an ignorant North American, I am impressed by the progress that John was able to make in this location and even more by the mental fortitude that he was able to show in the face of his many failures and setbacks. Tau Bada was a very interesting book as it mixed a few distinct literary genres together. On one front, and the one that is most prominent, this book is a memoir of John's accomplishments, failures, and adventures. On another front, one can argue that this book is one of philosophy and introspection. Throughout the book, John has a myriad of quotes from authors, musicians, and philosophers that guide him every step of the way. He doesn't hesitate to relate these excerpts to the text at hand and add his own personal thoughts to the mix. On one final front, albeit a minor one, the book is a way to open the reader's eyes to the world around them. Not only am I talking about the beauty, culture, and nuances of Papa New Guinea, but also the various other locations the author uses as a literary backdrop across North America. Very few books that I have read can go from doing belly shots off bartenders to literally being the first white man to enter a remote island village. Tau Bada can transport you all over the world. The thing that I liked the most, however, was something that I have never seen in an e-book. On the e-book version of this story, there are integrated hyperlinks throughout the file. Each hyperlink takes you to a video (hosted on Vimeo) which gives, through yet another media format (video and picture slideshows to music), a glimpse into the life that the author is trying to describe. This is the only book that I have ever seen that is so expertly able to suck the reader into their world with a multimedia perspective.

The only bad things that I had to say about this book slowly dissipated with time. As I started reading the book I was annoyed by the constant forays into philosophy, literary quotes, and self-introspection. As the book went on, however, I came to appreciate these excerpts as an essential look into the author's mind, soul, and physical being at each point in his life. Where I originally found that they were taking away from the story, I eventually was looking forward to reading the next one and inadvertently nodding along with each line. If I had to define one thing that I liked the least about this book, I would have to say that it took a while to get started. In my mind, the action, purpose, and consequently the addiction to the book came after the author made it to Papa New Guinea. Although I understand that it is critical to the understanding of how he got to where he was, the first couple chapters weren't as exciting to me.

For the cultural awareness, the courage to lay out all of the experiences on the table for the reader, and the unique undertakings that John E Quinlan has lived, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. As I began reading this book, I was sure that I was going to only give it three stars, but each additional chapter solidified another justification in my mind of the higher ranking. John was able to give the reader an experience of a lifetime that is only paralleled by actually being present in these remote locations. He is an extremely talented and loquacious writer and any lover of literature will be titillated by his constant references to the masters of the art. If you aren't a fan of memoirs, I think that you may not enjoy this book as much as I did, but I sincerely believe there is something between the pages for everyone.

Tau Bada
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this memoir is for me. Great review though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It is great to know that the book gets better as it goes on. I do appreciate scholarly writers, though references to philosophy and literature that seem gratuitous are irritating. It sounds as if the author makes this aspect work, at least as the book unfolds.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
PhylesTemea
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PhylesTemea »

I like it
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

This book sounds really interesting. I'm not really big on nonfiction and memoirs, but I really like how he incorporates philosophy and encourages the readers to really think about life.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice and inspiring review! your review helped me made my decision rewarding this book. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I enjoyed reading your review, and while memoirs usually come after mysteries for me, when the book is good, and it's on a topic that interests me, I'll probably get it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”