Official Review: Perdido Bay Blues by Jacqueline Lane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Official Review: Perdido Bay Blues by Jacqueline Lane

Post by James Craft »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Perdido Bay Blues: The Struggle to Save Perdido Bay by Jacqueline Lane PhD is a non-fiction work about a particular bay in Florida and the problems it is dealing with in our modern world. I knew very little about this topic before picking up this book, and after reading it I feel that I have a clear understanding of some of the problems the bay is facing.

The book reads very cleanly and the author doesn’t do one of the major things that I have a problem with from many non-fiction authors: namely, she doesn’t talk down to the reader, nor does she use exaggerated or flowery language just to show off how smart she is. Instead, she talks directly to the reader in a very clean fashion that makes the problems facing the bay the priority of this book. I really enjoyed the fact that it was so easy to read, because it helped me analyze the material rather than decipher the wording.

The actual content of this book was incredibly interesting, and also a little bit frightening. It represents a sort of look at the modern world with global warming and invasive species that we are facing on a much more regular basis. Some of the things covered, such as when Judge Canter threw a curveball and forced them to drop all of their evidence so that it could protect companies instead of the water ways. Things like this are frustrating, but the author was able to weave a solid narrative around both the efforts the petitioners made as well as the disasters they faced entering the public sphere.

Despite how well-written the book was, it wasn’t without its problems. The biggest one was the formatting and style guide the book seemed to follow, because it made it feel more like I was reading a college term paper than an actual non-fiction book. The author does such a great job of making the book conversational that this felt like a huge mark against it and really detracted from the overall quality of the read. If the formatting issues were addressed it would be almost perfect.

All in all, I found Perdido Bay Blues: The Struggle to Save Perdido Bay by Jacqueline Lane PhD to be an interesting and cohesive read about the issues that the bay is facing and the way in which people have tried to save it. For people who enjoy non-fiction reads with a lot of life and spark to them, this book is a real win. I will rate it 3 out of 4 stars because of the aforementioned formatting issues, but with a few slight modifications I think this could be an incredible read.

Perdido Bay Blues
View: on Bookshelves

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This book definitely sounds relevant! It's good to know the author writes in a way that can be understood by all - I agree that so much of an author's message can be lost if they use a poor tone and unnecessary language.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know nothing about perdido bay. Sounds like this book would be perfect for me to read. I love that the author doesn't talk down to the reader. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

"I knew very little about this topic before picking up this book." That makes the two of us :D :D . After reading your review, this book sounds interesting. I will have to read it.

Nice review
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

This sounds like an nonfiction book which gives the read enough to understand and form a judgement by. Thank you for the good review. The only interesting part about the book for me is the way the judge mishandled the issue. I find to often that this is the way of our modern society.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

A nonfiction book with spark and life. I'm really interested in the issue it deals with. I grew up near a lake which we all loved, picnics and recreational outings were often held near the lake, so I have fond memories of it. Unfortunately it is not what it used to be. Thank you for the review James Craft.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Dashill09
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dashill09 »

Good topic
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

This book seems worth reading ! Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”