Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Guerrilla and counter-guerrilla

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Guerrilla and counter-guerrilla

Post Number:#1 by Acwoolet
» 20 Jun 2017, 16:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Guerrilla and counter-guerrilla" by Jehan Morel.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by Acwoolet
Share This Review

If you’re like me you know next to nothing about any sort of Guerrilla warfare, what little exposure you had was briefly touched on in a history class too many years ago to recall what had actually been discussed. Guerrilla and Counter-Guerrilla: Theory and Practice written by Jehan Morel is a non-fiction novel that draws on the author’s first hand experience as a soldier in French Indochina and Central Africa and also his knowledge as a scholar of military science. This novel gives an incredibly in depth view of both sides of this type of warfare.

What I thought to be a dry subject that couldn’t possibly be especially complicated turned out to be completely the opposite. It’s not the pillaging of villages and leaving them to burn that my un-researched brain had believed it to be. It’s a world of intrigue, deception, psychological warfare, and even cyber-warfare. Guerrilla and Counter-Guerrilla digs deeply in the rich history of these types of warfare; thoroughly explaining where exactly it came from and how it has developed into the warfare it is today. It also gives an in depth view of the day to day life of a soldier in this type of combat, ranging from when they eat and sleep to communications and marching through the jungle. The author also thoroughly discusses the opposite views of Counter-guerrilla warfare, its ideal physical and mechanical foundations, and the ways to approach each counter attack towards the enemy.

While the novel discusses a very serious subject, the author brings some humor into his writing that definitely compliments the novel, leaving the reader with not only greater knowledge on the subject, but also a sense of enjoyment in reading the novel. Guerrilla and Counter-Guerrilla is incredibly well written and thoroughly cites all of its references; making me believe that it could possibly be used in many classroom settings in the future. Each chapter flows easily from one to the next without any lulls or stagnant ideas, explaining each section carefully so that someone who doesn’t have any knowledge of Guerrilla warfare is able to understand how it works. Also complimenting the novel are quite a few historical photos of the author’s time as a soldier and maps depicting each region that he discusses.

I had chosen to read this novel because the historical aspect of analyzing these two different types of warfare intrigued me. While I had expected it to be interesting, I figured that it was possibly a little bit dry. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to not only have learned quite a lot of Guerrilla warfare, but to have also enjoyed reading the novel. I believe that lovers of non-fiction and readers intrigued by Guerrilla warfare will completely enjoy reading this novel, and will definitely learn something in the process.

Because I enjoyed reading this novel so much, I give Guerrilla and Counter-Guerrilla a 4 out of 4 stars. It is very well written, informative, and enjoyable. I couldn’t find anything to dislike about the novel and therefore whole-heartedly recommend it.

Guerrilla and counter-guerrilla
View: on Bookshelves

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Acwoolet's Latest Review: "Romeo" by Alexandra Claudia
Acwoolet

Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Guerrilla and counter-guerrilla

Post Number:#2 by MarisaRose
» 01 Jul 2017, 13:23

Well, I can honestly say I had a lot of the same assumptions about this topic as you originally stated. I'm glad this topic was actually eye-opening and interesting to learn about. Although, I don't know that this book is for me, I'm glad you found it successful!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Re-tread" by James Vincent
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 232%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 03 Jul 2017, 19:07

I think I remember guerilla warfare from school. I'm sure I could brush up on it though. It does sound dry but I'm glad the author jazzes it up a little. Love the humor. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Devil's Run" by AR Simmons
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 64%

Post Number:#4 by BestReviews
» 03 Jul 2017, 23:09

Nicely presented review. I don't feel like this book is for me. Thank you for the review
BestReviews

Favorite Book: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 25%

Post Number:#5 by BookishBookkeeping
» 04 Jul 2017, 16:15

I admit when I first read the title I thought it would be a bit dry, but I'm pleasantly surprised at my interest in the subject. Guerilla warfare isn't something taught in schools these days so being able to glean some information through a novel is great. Thanks for the good review.
BookishBookkeeping's Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
BookishBookkeeping

Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 6 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 53 Books
Goal Completion: 50%

Post Number:#6 by Nthabeleng
» 04 Jul 2017, 16:59

Judging by the cover an the title I'd never read this book but your review gives it life, thanks Acwoolet
Nthabeleng

Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 16%

Post Number:#7 by yellosteel
» 04 Jul 2017, 17:22

While am apt to commend the author for a taking up a seemingly dry subject like a guerrilla warfare,and yet,still make it somewhat attractive to readers, the review as a barometer of course, i honestly wont be able to say the same thing when it comes to the book proper. That's not saying its not a great book though, just that I don't feel its for me .Thanks for the review.
yellosteel

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet

Post Number:#8 by Kosgei C Judith
» 10 Jul 2017, 05:49

By reviewing the book it gave me way to read the book, but by the topic guerilla warfare one may neglect the book
Kosgei C Judith

Favorite Author: Ronelle Antoinette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6 books