Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Notesfromgrandpa by Quentin Gessner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Notesfromgrandpa by Quentin Gessner

Post Number:#1 by CataclysmicKnight
» 17 Jun 2017, 14:26

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Notesfromgrandpa" by Quentin Gessner.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by CataclysmicKnight
Share This Review

Along with spending time with them and showing them kindness, one of the most important things an adult can do for kids is passing on their knowledge. So many of life's lessons are best learned through experience, and being able to tell others about your own experiences helps them avoid unnecessary pain and get a leg up on life. Quentin Gessner, author of Notes from Grandpa: Sharing Life's Lessons, has a whopping 46 family members (including 5 kids, 13 grandkids and 11 great-grandkids!) so he decided to compile seven important "notes from Grandpa".

The book is broken into seven sections, each with a single focus. The first two, Notes on Character and Notes on Self-Discipline, are written in a list format and the rest vary between paragraphs and lists. There's a lot of standard, common knowledge in here, but there's also some really solid insight as well. The majority of the notes are based on character, being a good person and improving interactions with others (the first note is even titled Notes on Character!).

I really liked that the author had a very positive, upbeat voice. That's also the main takeaway from Notes from Grandpa: Sharing Life's Lessons - the importance of a positive attitude (note 6 is Notes on Positive Attitude) and reflecting on your life to be the best person you can be. Notes 3 and 4 - Notes on Spirituality and Notes on Self Assessment for Christians - were my favorite two notes. They encourage self-reflection well, and since the book is so short they're easy to come back to any time in the future to inspire further self-improvement.

There was one note that felt a bit weak, however. Note 5, Notes on Force Field Analysis, sounded like it would be the coolest by far. However, it's actually a term that Quentin uses to refer to making decisions. The method is very straightforward, and the note includes step-by-step instructions, but it wasn't as inclusive as the other notes. The book is also incredibly short - only 26 pages - meaning it's great for young children or for a quick read but doesn't have a lot of depth to it.

Overall, even as an adult I found some interesting notes, suggestions and insight in Notes from Grandpa:
Sharing Life's Lessons
. While it may not be something I'd recommend to people who read lots of self-help books, it definitely has its place with younger kids, particularly if you read it to your own children and then look back and re-read different portions in fitting circumstances. Re-reading the note on positive attitude when a child is frustrated or using the notes on conflict resolution as a step-by-step guide to avoid fights and talk things out are both great uses for the book! My official rating of Notes from Grandpa: Sharing Life's Lessons is 3 out of 4 stars.

Notesfromgrandpa
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
CataclysmicKnight's Latest Review: "The Oregon Kids" by Bob Richley
CataclysmicKnight

Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 344 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 54%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Notesfromgrandpa by Quentin Gessner

Post Number:#2 by LadyClaire
» 26 Jul 2017, 16:05

I think this is an example every Grandpa should emulate(not necessarily publishing).
Thanks for the review, CataclysmKnight.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 53 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#3 by Anirudh Badri
» 27 Jul 2017, 16:55

Sounds like a short, sweet book by a man who has learnt a lot from life. Too bad about the not on force field analysis though. With a name like that, I was starting to get really excited.

Thanks for the review, CataclysmicKnight.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Anirudh Badri

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 21%

Post Number:#4 by bookiegalke
» 28 Jul 2017, 08:44

I think the best way to read this book with a child is to read it bit by bit like a teacher would organize different lessons for a particular subject to teach her students. I like the review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookiegalke

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

Post Number:#5 by The Researcher
» 03 Aug 2017, 00:53

Very Nice review! I liked the fact about sharing the knowledge with Kids. It reminded me of my grandparents. I spent a lot of time with them and learnt a lot of things from them.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 95 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 158%

Post Number:#6 by Jem Tomarong
» 03 Aug 2017, 01:05

I haven't much enough time with my grandpa. One thing I've learned from him is " you must behave and be a good girl. Excellent review, I can relate. Thanks for your review.
Jem Tomarong's Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Jem Tomarong

Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%