Official Review: There Was A Little Girl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: There Was A Little Girl

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "There Was A Little Girl" by Edith Foote Carpenter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There Was A Little Girl: Memoirs of Growing Up in Victorian Brooklyn is a touching book that features a memorable period in the life of the author, Edith Foote Carpenter.

Edith was born three days after the death of her father. Consequently, her oldest brother Jack posed as a father figure for Edith, while her older sisters Stella and Agnes helped Mama raise her as a little lady. One day, when her older sister Agnes took her out for a treat, Edith felt a burning pain in her leg. The pain turned out to be more serious than they hoped and Edith was placed in a white bed in her mother’s room. She stayed there for a few years where she played with her dolls and looked out the window to see other children. Agnes, patiently, introduced her to the joy of reading and Edith found herself in a whole new world of books and stories. She fell in love with the beauty and the music of words that she dreamed of writing her own stories someday. When she finally left her white bed and discarded her crutches and braces, she went outside for the first time in years and met new friends.

Written in the second person perspective, this is a touching and endearing story that celebrates childhood and life in general. The writing style reminds me so much of the book Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and the dialogues are convincingly that of Victorian times. The author is very descriptive that it is easy to visualize what is happening in the story: the house, the furniture and even the dresses the characters wear. She takes the readers back in time when children were seen and not heard. She successfully depicts the city life and the country life and makes both lives sound very charming.

Moreover, the book shows the strength of the main character even as a child when she lived through her crippling illness without any hint of bitterness for not being able to go out like other children, or when she was faced with an embarrassing situation. It also shows her compassion for small creatures and her love for beautiful things like lace and pearls making her one very relatable person. What I like most about the story, though, are the pieces of advice on how to become a lady. I find them helpful and, somehow, funny.

However, there are some things that I prefer to have been included in the book which are apparently not given much focus. First, I wish the author included specific details on the father’s death. Second, I would have appreciated some elaboration on Edith’s illness. Though they are not the primary focus of the story, the absence of details gives the book an incomplete feeling. Other readers, however, may not have the same opinion.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well written, enjoyable, interesting and inspiring. I recommend it to those who enjoy reading memoirs.

There Was A Little Girl
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't read memoirs often, however I do get a hankering from time to time. Sounds like this would be a good one when I do. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Grachilla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Grachilla »

The story is great, people would love to read this book. 5 stars for it
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Awesome review. I am a huge memoir fan and this sounds like an intriguing book.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another great review! The book looks interesting. It's always a plus when there are vivid descriptions in a story set in a certain era.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
prisca ongoma

Post by prisca ongoma »

Books keeps you busy whenever you feel lonely and stressed up
bfergusonwpg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 222">Blood Crime</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 679
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfergusonwpg.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by bfergusonwpg »

Nostalgia for other times and places doesn't grab me so much as it once did, ironically as I am now old. Nevertheless this sounds ably written and I have a feeling I would probably like it.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This sounds like a wonderful memoir! I don't typically care for the genre, but this one sounds touching and heartfelt. Glad you liked it so much!
Rnwulfekuhle
Currently Reading: Blood Magic
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Rnwulfekuhle »

I don't really read memoirs at all, they don't seem to interest me but this one sounds pretty good. I think if I read this book though the fact that you don't know what her illness is would drive me nuts. It is now and all I read was the review. It does sound like a very good book and a good review.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Jaime Lync wrote:Awesome review. I am a huge memoir fan and this sounds like an intriguing book.
Thank you. It is a very enjoyable read :)

-- 29 Jun 2017, 03:32 --
bookowlie wrote:Another great review! The book looks interesting. It's always a plus when there are vivid descriptions in a story set in a certain era.
Thank you! It is very interesting and enjoyable.

-- 29 Jun 2017, 03:34 --
bfergusonwpg wrote:Nostalgia for other times and places doesn't grab me so much as it once did, ironically as I am now old. Nevertheless this sounds ably written and I have a feeling I would probably like it.
I hope you get a chance to read it.
derekkirima
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by derekkirima »

This memoir There was a little girl by Edith Foote Carpenter proves to be an interesting one. I like memoirs and those that seem to fit my own assessment forever stick in my memory. Apart from an incident that we don't know but we would have liked to know like long time spent on bed as an invalid how, and what lead to her recovery the time she recovered, the memoir proves to be of high quality and I recommend it to all the lovers of written words. Thanks for review.
Elizabeth Wanyoike

Post by Elizabeth Wanyoike »

I love the story nice one
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

How heartbreaking... I like though that the book seems to focus more on positive aspects, its a pity that details are left out though. Thank you for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

This sounds like a very good description of Victorian life in Brooklyn. I think I would wonder the same things as you; about the father's death and Edith's illness. That information would complete what sounds like a very interesting and enjoyable story.
peace starts with a smile...
Nelli1

Post by Nelli1 »

The book looks very interesting, the Edith's story like a very touching, I would like to read it

-- 13 Jul 2017, 02:47 --

[quote="Nelli1"]The book looks very interesting, the Edith's story look like a very touching story, I would like to read it[There was a little girl

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”