Official Review: Soft Underbelly by Kat Powell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Re: Official Review: Soft Underbelly by Kat Powell

Post by psychopathycathy »

I often get lost when there are too many secondary characters, but the premise sounds eye-opening and very realistic. Congrats on BOTD.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Looks like Kathy would be a relatable character to a lot of readers out there. Even though these types of books are not my cup of tea, my attention was piqued from the first page. Thanks!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I like this book because many people can relate to its message about overcoming life's abuses to be the person that you were meant to be. I like that Kathy not only survived her abusive relationships, but managed to learn from them and become a stronger person. This is a great book to read for those struggling to get out of or stay out of abusive relationships.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

This story could be a visualization of Eric Berne's theories: a woman, who seeks proofs that she can be loved and cherished, always finds herself in relationships that prove her mother opposite programm.

Thank you for review!
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I read the sample and while it was a good read and the Review definitely makes a case for reading the whole thing, as a survivor of domestic violence, I'm not so sure I want to read it. I too have felt unlovable my whole life, thanks to both mom and dad, and have as a result, chosen badly in my romantic relationships. After years of therapy, I am in a better place and in an authentic love relationship, so I'm not sure I want a reminder of my dark times.

With that being said, the sample I read was quite engrossing and pulled me right in, such that my heart was thumping for most of the read, waiting for the other shoe to drop. If the rest follows suit, as the Review indicates it does, it probably is a good read.
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesokunmd.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by jamesokunmd »

Great review! Sounds like an incredible book about resilience of the human spirit overcoming unspeakable circomstances. Just put it at the top of my list to read.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Prachi Kumari
Currently Reading: Soft Underbelly
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Prachi Kumari »

Soft Underbelly by Kat Powell is an inspiring story and at starting it was full of suspense that i liked very much.I felt like i am watching a thriller movie in my mind.And i found out that Kathy's character is sensible from her childhood.She understands everything what is happening around her.But i felt sad when her mother told her that how unlovable she was.But this story also tells that really Kathy is unlovable but not because of herself,she was a victim of those persons who can't love others because they themselves were unlovable.And we should take lesson from this story that when a relationship began to suffocate,at that time only one should get out of that abusive relationship.Otherwise,it will ruin your entire life.I will give this book 4 out of 4. As per my understanding,this book is very good and will be loved by who loves readind realistic stories and inspiring stories with a twist of thrill.
Mezico
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mezico »

Soft Underbelly by Kat Powell

At the tender age of four she witnessed her mother attacking her father. His repeated refusal to retaliate made Kathy wrongly believe he was a weak man.

With her mother’s cruel taunts ringing in her ears “you are unlovable!” Kathy sought out strong, controlling men who would each meter out their own unique style of punishment, proving to her that her mother was right, she was unlovable.

Soft Underbelly is a story that takes me on a wild ride through the insidiousness of police corruption, wrongful imprisonment, domestic violence, ruthless gangsters, devastating loss, kidnapping and ultimately murder.
A wonderful story and big lessons to learn.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

It is unfortunate that Kathy's mother failed to instill in her daughter virtues of self worth. This reflects in the choices she made as she grew up; but ut all is not lost though.
lgeeberry
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lgeeberry »

The story is not your stereotypical everyday woman trying to just live life. The review made me want to read the book to its last page. Making me want to know more about how she struggled believing she's unlovable because of what kind of a mother she has and how wrongly she believed about men being weak because of her father.
sammywanjala
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by sammywanjala »

it's really a nice story indeed :D
Keri wood
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keri-wood.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keri wood »

Definitely a good book it touches base on come really heavy topics. I can't wait to read the whole book the sample was just a tease.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Modou Lamin Sowe
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Modou Lamin Sowe »

[/quote]Soft Underbelly by Kat Powell, is a work of a great storyteller whose modern style of writing, diction and characterization slays every literary imagination in the book. Instead of showing her daughter the right thing to be done, Kathy's mother had misled her daughter unimaginably. Thanks for the review.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Truthfully, when I first saw the cover, I was not drawn toward the book...I know, I know...don't judge a book by its cover. Unfortunately, I do. I also was not too keen on the title. However, after reading your review, I think I'm going to buy today's #BOTD! I enjoy hearing other people's stories and learning through their own experiences. It sounds like a great book and it seems really engaging. Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to reading this one! :-)
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. It is great when an author can turn a great story into a novel and make sure all of the main points are present and known to the audience. It is too bad that you found too many secondary characters however.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”