Official Review: Cycle of Being by Jahleen Wright

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: Cycle of Being by Jahleen Wright

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cycle of Being" by Jahleen Wright.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cycle of Being is written by Jahleen Wright and published by IslandGirlPoetry. Although it is classified as non-fiction, it also falls under the drama and poetry genre.

The book is a collection of poems written by the author that describes different phases and experiences in her life. The poems are divided into five main themes. These are: Hope, Imagination, Passion, Enterprise, and Contemplation. Under each of these headings are poems that relate to this theme.

I shall be summarizing a few of the poems below:
The first poem in the book “Cycle of Being” speaks about the changes in the author's life, while the poem “Believe” talks about the future, and her belief in God. “Truth” talks about her childhood and the experience of being separated from her mother, while the poem "Trust" talks about persevering and trusting yourself, and continuing to believe in yourself. “Reflections of ME” is about the author pondering about herself in the mirror, while “Frozen in Time” is about capturing beautiful memories.

There are 86 pages altogether, and on page 22, in the poem titled “I write”, the author says:
“I write to express life and the things I see,
I write for you, but mainly for me…”
From this quote, I take that the process of writing is often personal and is more for the writer than for the reader.

What I liked about the book was that the author was able to express her feelings through poetry, and the reader is able to understand and perceive these feelings. Of all the poems, several of them were my favorite. The first one I particularly liked is titled “I write” and it is about the reasons why the author chooses to write and how she finds it as a way to express herself. My second favorite poem was one titled “Set free” and is about seeking approval and acceptance from the ones she loves.

I liked most of the book, however, I didn’t really enjoy reading the chapter titled “Passion”. Most of the poems in this chapter were sexual in nature and it deals with the experiences that the author goes through. The author writes about these experiences in quite some detail, and some readers may be uncomfortable reading this.

The poems were mostly made of simple rhyming words. They ranged from less than a page to two pages in length. I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I gave it this rating because I found most of the poems enjoyable and pleasant to read. I didn’t give it a 4 stars because I didn’t enjoy reading the chapter titled Passion. However, that may be my personal preference. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy poetry or even those who would like to try something new.

Cycle of Being
View: on Bookshelves

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Hmm, poetry collections are always a tough one for me. A lot of times, I have a hard time connecting with the author and fully understanding their meaning. I don't think this one is for me. Interesting review!
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I agree. Poetry collections can be difficult to review because it is more personal than other types of writing. It depends on whether the reader can understand the poet's feelings and point of view.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have never been into poetry. I didn't like it when we studied it in English, and I don't really enjoy it now either (although I did like Shel Silverstein.) Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sagire Wambura
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sagire Wambura »

The storylines from the book are interesting, and I have learned, the written work is mostly important for an author rather than reader
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I really like how poetry is a personal thing that can be so descriptive with few words. I've been really getting into reading poetry lately, so I might check this one out. Good review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”