Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Cycle of Being by Jahleen Wright

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Cycle of Being by Jahleen Wright

Post Number:#1 by stoppoppingtheP
» 29 May 2017, 13:46

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cycle of Being" by Jahleen Wright.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by stoppoppingtheP
Share This Review

Cycle of Being is written by Jahleen Wright and published by IslandGirlPoetry. Although it is classified as non-fiction, it also falls under the drama and poetry genre.

The book is a collection of poems written by the author that describes different phases and experiences in her life. The poems are divided into five main themes. These are: Hope, Imagination, Passion, Enterprise, and Contemplation. Under each of these headings are poems that relate to this theme.

I shall be summarizing a few of the poems below:
The first poem in the book “Cycle of Being” speaks about the changes in the author's life, while the poem “Believe” talks about the future, and her belief in God. “Truth” talks about her childhood and the experience of being separated from her mother, while the poem "Trust" talks about persevering and trusting yourself, and continuing to believe in yourself. “Reflections of ME” is about the author pondering about herself in the mirror, while “Frozen in Time” is about capturing beautiful memories.

There are 86 pages altogether, and on page 22, in the poem titled “I write”, the author says:
“I write to express life and the things I see,
I write for you, but mainly for me…”
From this quote, I take that the process of writing is often personal and is more for the writer than for the reader.

What I liked about the book was that the author was able to express her feelings through poetry, and the reader is able to understand and perceive these feelings. Of all the poems, several of them were my favorite. The first one I particularly liked is titled “I write” and it is about the reasons why the author chooses to write and how she finds it as a way to express herself. My second favorite poem was one titled “Set free” and is about seeking approval and acceptance from the ones she loves.

I liked most of the book, however, I didn’t really enjoy reading the chapter titled “Passion”. Most of the poems in this chapter were sexual in nature and it deals with the experiences that the author goes through. The author writes about these experiences in quite some detail, and some readers may be uncomfortable reading this.

The poems were mostly made of simple rhyming words. They ranged from less than a page to two pages in length. I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I gave it this rating because I found most of the poems enjoyable and pleasant to read. I didn’t give it a 4 stars because I didn’t enjoy reading the chapter titled Passion. However, that may be my personal preference. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy poetry or even those who would like to try something new.

Cycle of Being
View: on Bookshelves

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“where
you are.
is not
who
you are.

-circumstances”

― Nayyirah Waheed
stoppoppingtheP's Latest Review: "The 13" by Aaliyah.S
stoppoppingtheP

Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 128 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Cycle of Being by Jahleen Wright

Post Number:#2 by MarisaRose
» 05 Jun 2017, 13:15

Hmm, poetry collections are always a tough one for me. A lot of times, I have a hard time connecting with the author and fully understanding their meaning. I don't think this one is for me. Interesting review!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Unbalanced" by Courtney Shepard
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 184%

Post Number:#3 by stoppoppingtheP
» 06 Jun 2017, 08:50

I agree. Poetry collections can be difficult to review because it is more personal than other types of writing. It depends on whether the reader can understand the poet's feelings and point of view.

“where
you are.
is not
who
you are.

-circumstances”

― Nayyirah Waheed
stoppoppingtheP's Latest Review: "The 13" by Aaliyah.S
stoppoppingtheP

Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 128 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 06 Jun 2017, 09:28

I have never been into poetry. I didn't like it when we studied it in English, and I don't really enjoy it now either (although I did like Shel Silverstein.) Thanks for the review though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Gestation Seven" by J Stewart Willis
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 76 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 59%