Official Review: Sibling Loss; a sister's journey from de...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Sibling Loss; a sister's journey from de...

Post by barb429 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sibling Loss; a sister's journey from despair to celebration" by Laura Prince (pseudonym).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The loss of a loved one can often be a trying time for a family. Everybody grieves differently and families often have different reactions. While some pull together and manage to appreciate those loved one who remain, others become consumed in their grief, pushing away anybody who cares about them. When that family member is a child, it can be even more difficult for loved ones to process the death.

Laura Prince’s Sibling Loss: A Sister’s Journey from Despair to Celebration is a memoir that tells the author’s own story. Her brother, Mathew, was killed in an accident at thirteen years old. This event left the family broken in a way from which they never fully recovered. In Sibling Loss we learn about Prince’s early life, her parents’ courtship and the lives that her remaining two brothers led after the tragedy.

This book is told through the lens of an adult who has taken years to process the traumatic events from her childhood. When she looks back upon the actions of her parents and siblings, she is able to recount the events with the clarity of an adult who has had the opportunity to reflect upon the reasoning for the family members’ reactions. I felt as though this clarity allowed the reader to understand the family more. We see that Laura’s mother has shut down, unable to console her other children because of her own grief. Her father, who was never particularly an overly affectionate man, depends on his wife for comfort, also taking her attention away from the other children. As a result, the three remaining siblings must cope with their brother’s death in their own way.

Sibling Loss follows Prince throughout her adulthood, as she continues to struggle with her grief. We see the mistakes that she makes in her life, and the lessons that she learns. The reader struggles with her as she continues to make mistakes in her personal relationships, mistakes that she can later attribute to her own failure to cope with the loss of her brother.

This book deals with a serious topic very well. Although the chapters jump a bit through time, it is easy to keep up with what is going on. Throughout each chapter, Prince also reminds the reader of not only where she is, but also where her other family members are at the time. I think readers who have lost somebody close to them at a young age can relate to Prince and appreciate the message of her story. It is one of love, loss, and hope. Prince’s journey is one worth reading. If you enjoy reading memoirs and biographies, I think this is a book that you would really like. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Sibling Loss; a sister's journey from despair to celebration
View: on Bookshelves

Like barb429's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a book that any family who has experienced a loss should read. Hopefully it will benefit them in some way, even if just to tell them that they are not alone and possibly on how to cope with the loss.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This review is really thorough. I like that you mentioned that the chapters may be a little jumpy but easy to follow along with.
cancillergrace
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by cancillergrace »

Every one will surely cry on this book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can't imagine what the author went through. It sounds like a really good book. We all have had some type of loss that we can surely relate. Thanks for sharing a good book with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”