Official Review: Naked by Julie Freed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Naked by Julie Freed

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Naked" by Julie Freed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Naked by Julie Freed is an extremely well-written but also raw and devastating account of the author’s sudden dissolution of marriage, and the simultaneous impact of Hurricane Katrina on her and her baby daughter’s life. When we meet Julie, she is preparing for evacuation while her husband is in another state working as a military doctor. She receives a heartbreaking message from him indicating his desire for a divorce, but due to the impending storm she must focus on her and her daughter’s immediate safety, so she is unable to fully process the situation. Thankfully, she is able to rely on the help of kindly neighbors and find shelter to weather the storm.

The book switches back and forth between two timelines – the author’s present, where she is dealing with the hurricane and her looming divorce, and the past in which she meets and falls in love with her husband Conner. We read of her and her husband’s backgrounds and family situations, and watch as they come to know each other and begin a romance. Sometimes it can be easy, looking retrospectively at a failed relationship, to see huge problems that are obvious culprits in its dissolution. However, through her account of the early days of her relationship, the author shows us that it is not always possible to anticipate or avoid those problems. As she recounts her husband’s actions through the period of their 9 year marriage, we watch his progression from a “sweet, innocent man” to someone who harbors secrets and a dark side, and then finally to someone entrenched in the throes of alcoholism.

There are several rich metaphors within this story. Conner’s sudden transformation into a wretched man ravaged by addiction is mirrored by the sudden transformation of the gulf coast after the devastation of the hurricane. His sudden impulsive and unpredictable behavior is contrasted strongly by the solid and consistent love and support Julie receives from her father. The author also spends some time describing the diamond ring given to her by her husband – a ring with a flaw that one could only see while looking at it from a certain angle. This alludes to her experience with her husband, who appeared to her at first like the ideal partner, and whose flaws it took her a long time to admit.

The title of the book, Naked, is a concept that manifests in several ways within the story. When the hurricane leaves her neighborhood broken and ravaged, the author describes the torn open houses and lives as “naked” and exposed – a feeling similar to one she experiences through her divorce. After enduring the physical and emotional losses of the time, she again describes herself as feeling “naked,” though in this context the connotation is less negative, instead describing her openness to rebuilding a life on her own terms. Nakedness as a concept is also used several times to describe honesty and simplicity, and in these contexts is described as a positive quality.

This story is paced well, and the switching timelines keep it moving in a way that made it hard for me to put down. It is the story of a woman who finds strength during the deepest despair, and who finds and builds a community among her family, friends, and other survivors. One of the most powerful themes in this work is the equalizing power of loss and grief, and the meaninglessness of wealth and material possessions as compared to real treasure like love and family. This is a book that almost any reader can enjoy; it is the story of hope amidst suffering, as well as a real-life account of one community’s experiences during and after Hurricane Katrina. I rate this book a strong 4 out of 4 stars as I cannot think of any negatives to report. I recommend this book for readers who enjoy memoirs, as well as books with a strong inspirational message of perseverance and survival.

Naked
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That's a very interesting use of the word naked. Not what I would have thought of. I like it though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Catherine and AJ
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Catherine and AJ »

I was recently divorced and feel that I could certainly relate to this book. I definitely plan on reading this. Thanks for the review!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like an amazing book that will also be relatable to many readers. I'm intrigued by the fact that the book also takes a look at the horrors of Katrina. I've never read an account from anyone who had experienced it. I'm interested in reading this one.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Sounds like the author's story is one that can provide inspiration to other women about finding their own strength despite their circumstances. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This sounds like a story that would have me emotionally invested - love it - not that I am happy that the author had to go through a divorce (you guys know what I mean). Great review.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Your explanation of the powerful title has really drawn me to this book. It sounds like the author has a good grasp of story telling and the use of metaphor. Interesting review, glad you liked this one so much!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I thank the author for sharing her real life experience. You have left us wondering what her husband did and what his dark sectrets were. Good motivation to make us want to read. Nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”