Official Review: What Killed Downtown? by Michael E. Tolle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Official Review: What Killed Downtown? by Michael E. Tolle

Post by va2016 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Killed Downtown?" by Michael E. Tolle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book What Killed Downtown by Michael E. Tolle. This book is available under the ‘Political Theory’ section in Amazon.

It was the 1950s. Personal automobiles had given wings to the individuals to travel much easier than by public transport system but that freedom came with the price of finding the parking spaces to park. The downtowns could not handle the parking needs and the incoming traffic through the newly constructed highways and the expressways. This book narrates the struggles and the eventual demise of one such downtown, that of Norristown, Pennsylvania.

The book gives a detailed account of the real-time happenings from the days when settlements happened along the Schuylkill river to the days when malls became operational. The first part of the book covers the times when roads were formed to connect the waterways’ entries, and railroads laid their tracks to connect Norristown to the nearby cities. The second part of the book covers the parking and the traffic problems caused because of the personal automobiles and the Norristown county’s inability to address the issues due to internal squabbles, lack of leadership, and businessmen’s and politicians’ push-pulls. The third part of the book covers the eventual downfall of the downtown, and malls taking over the customers.

There are several interesting details that I liked in this book - introduction of the horse-drawn carriages and later the steam locomotives, the competitions between the railroads, contributions of the railroads, light rail, waterways and the roads to the local commerce, etc. As the author puts it succinctly - “Norristown swelled to a bustling town with shops and services housed in imposing multilevel brick and stone structures.” The statistics about relevant parameters like the number of shops that remained in business over the years etc. are shared throughout the book. The various types of architectures of the buildings and the details about the landmarks like 'Norris Theater’ are well narrated. The photos of major landmarks have been provided. The area map is not available for immediate reference.

The various factors leading to the Norristown downtown's demise are discussed in detail, e.g. local population’s apathy and indifference. It is interesting to note that the happenings were not just localized phenomena but were seen everywhere in the USA when people started using their personal vehicles and malls started attracting the customers with ‘ample, free parking’.

Overall, I find the topic and the contents of this book very intriguing to someone who is interested in the retail economy. This book is also a great resource for people who are interested in commerce, trade, transportation, housing, politics, history and social sciences. It took me 15 days to read and digest this 262-pages book because of the writing style. I had to make strenuous efforts to complete reading this book. I suggest that the author considers a contemporary colloquial storytelling style next time to attract and fascinate the young readers who are the pillars of the next generation. I recommend this book to everyone so that they understand the economics and politics behind what happened in Norristown, and probably in their local neighborhood too. I had really wanted to rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars, but because of the boring writing style, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars.

What Killed Downtown?
View: on Bookshelves

Like va2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm a fan of contemporary so this book would probably be hard for me to read. In spite of that, I love the premise of the story. I also like how the book is educational because of the historical content.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow, more than two weeks for such a short book - sounds like you were studying a textbook for an exam. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I applaud you for continuing on with the book. I don't know that I would have the patience to try and figure that all out (but I tend to have a short attention span sometimes.) Anywho, this book isn't for me, but I'm sure history buffs would love it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Amagine wrote:I'm a fan of contemporary so this book would probably be hard for me to read. In spite of that, I love the premise of the story. I also like how the book is educational because of the historical content.

Great Review! :D
Thank you for your feedback on my review! Though the happenings were around 1950s, the
concept is still applicable to any economic transformation that happens in the retail economy,
but yes, the book is very hard to read because of the writing style.

-- 26 May 2017, 01:04 --
Jaime Lync wrote:Wow, more than two weeks for such a short book - sounds like you were studying a textbook for an exam. Great review.
You said it! It definitely sounded like a textbook! But yes, very interesting subject matter
to me (retail economy), and so I was able to plow it through! Thanks for your reply to the
review!

-- 26 May 2017, 01:07 --
kandscreeley wrote:Wow! I applaud you for continuing on with the book. I don't know that I would have the patience to try and figure that all out (but I tend to have a short attention span sometimes.) Anywho, this book isn't for me, but I'm sure history buffs would love it. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your reply! I continued with it because one, it's my favorite topic (retail economy), and
two, I believe that as a reviewer, personally, I should be able to complete a decent review of any book
that I pick (at least I am pushing myself towards that goal!)
Dayang Siti Zuraida
Currently Reading: Superhighway 2
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Dayang Siti Zuraida »

What a review. Worlds keep upgrading until there's no more to upgrade.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”