Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Don't Live the Good Life; Live the Bette...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Don't Live the Good Life; Live the Bette...

Post Number:#1 by CataclysmicKnight
» 07 May 2017, 17:10

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Live the Good Life; Live the Better Life" by Ankit Shukla.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by CataclysmicKnight
Share This Review

I love a good motivational/self-help title, and Don't Live the Good Life; Live the Better Life's title alone had me intrigued. Why wouldn't someone want to live a good life? What's better about the better life? Ankit Shukla answers these questions right in the first paragraph of the introduction; essentially the "better life" is always striving for better and always working to improve your life whereas one who says "I want to live a good life" is creating an end goal. Herein lies the entire foundation of Ankit's book: don't just settle for a good life when you can continue to grow as a person, learn new skills, try new things and earn more money!

The trick is to be appreciative, but not content. Always strive for more. Strive for the better life.

Ankit sets up the idea of "the better life" and has an exercise to help you discover what you want in the first chapter. This includes finding out what you love about your life and the things you consider to be negatives, then working to either change those negatives into positives or do away with them entirely. From here on out, the book has ten chapters that pinpoint different concepts to live the better life followed by a celebratory short chapter and a list of quotes from the author. The middle chapters include the importance of getting rid of negative people - people who only add negativity to your life - no matter who they are, using proper body language, dealing with failure and remembering that things can always get worse. While these do overlap with the first chapter a little bit, it never felt like I was reading the same thing a second time.

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the quotes at the back! Typically people who showcase their own quotes do a pretty terrible job of it, but Ankit has some great lines here. Favorites include "I've heard the term, 'work smarter not harder.' I like this phrase. But, until I learn to work smarter, I will work harder", "Don't try to make people like you. Be who you are and the right people will" and "Work hard and play hard; but work first and play second." One of the funnier quotes is listed twice though, which oddly added even more humor to it.

While the book is primarily aimed at those who enjoy a healthy drive to improve themselves, it also has some solid information for anyone. There are lots of people out there who are happy and content just earning as much relaxation time as possible (I've been one of those people from time to time myself!), but if you're the type who gets bored on days off and always wants to learn new skills and try new things, the better life is a concept you'll love. It is quite a short book - less than 60 pages in all - but it makes a solid starting point for those who want to improve themselves. Those who read motivational and self-help books on a regular basis may not find anything new here however.

I enjoyed reading Don't Live the Good Life; Live the Better Life, and I loved the positivity Ankit wrote with. He did use some commas and semicolons a bit too often, and there were some grammatical errors here and there, but it didn't impact my enjoyment of the book any. His life makes a good example of his mentality - he went from growing up in public housing to owning 2 homes and becoming a nurse, motivational speaker and author - but he also uses a failed vending machine business as a good example of failure. My rating of the book is 3 out of 4 stars, and I definitely recommend it to those who are looking to improve themselves but haven't read many self-help books.

Don't Live the Good Life; Live the Better Life
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
CataclysmicKnight's Latest Review: "America IS God's Chosen Republic" by Thomas Davis
CataclysmicKnight

Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 305 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 40 Books
Goal Completion: 112%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Don't Live the Good Life; Live the Bett

Post Number:#2 by Amagine
» 08 May 2017, 16:27

This definitely sounds like an enjoyable book with lots of positivity and a good amount of light-hearted humor.I can definitely seeing this being a great read for people who needs some motivation in order to improve their lives.

Great Review! 📄
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Dancing With Tex
Bookshelf Size: 619 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#3 by Chrys Brobbey
» 08 May 2017, 16:45

This is a book that motivates dreaming big. I like that it promotes positive thinking. The small size will make the reading quick enough. Thanks for a good review.
Chrys Brobbey

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#4 by Jaime Lync
» 08 May 2017, 17:51

Thanks for the review. I am a big fan of Self-help books but I like those that are rooted on scriptural focus better than those that are simply just motivation talk and wise advice like this one seems to be. However, your review inspires me to read it.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 300%

Post Number:#5 by itzak123
» 09 May 2017, 18:30

Nice review. It gets my interest to read the book one of this days. I can sense that it will give me ideas on how to improve myself. It is definitely one of the good to read book. I can say that it is a very inspiring review.
itzak123

Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 2 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by Aminah
» 14 May 2017, 03:53

I appreciate for the review since it gets my interest to read it sooner than later. I am quite sure it will give me better skills in doing better in my life. This is one of the most inspiring go and read book to many of us out here.Thanks once more for the review
Aminah

Currently Reading: True Strength
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by Lonedineo
» 17 May 2017, 07:38

Wooow
Lonedineo

Bookshelf Size: 0 books