Review of A Single Desperate Prayer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Review of A Single Desperate Prayer

Post by John Owen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Single Desperate Prayer" by Ludmila Ritz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"A Single Desperate Prayer" by Ludmila Ritz unfolds the poignant narrative of Ludmila, a street-smart, 10-year-old girl navigating the harsh realities of 1990s Ukraine. Living in poverty with her younger sister Alyona and their troubled mother, Ludmila's life takes a tumultuous turn when the menacing Victor enters their fragile family and sets everything into chaos.

As their mother grapples with addiction, Ludmila assumes the role of protector, scavenging the impoverished city streets and abandoned buildings to ensure their survival. The narrative delves into Ludmila's determination to reunite with Alyona after social services separate them, leading her to make difficult choices for their well-being. Grab a copy for a thrilling story!

I love the narrative and how unique it is. One of the supporting characters I took note of was Ludmila's aunt. She provided intermittent refuge to Ludmila, constantly adding contrasting layers to the narrative with her own turbulent home life. Key scenes, such as Ludmila's initial search for sustenance and the heart-wrenching separation from Alyona, highlight her resilience and vulnerability, making her a character I constantly empathized with and rooted for.

The setting was well done as well, portraying the harsh realities of 1990s Ukraine—cramped communal apartments, thin walls, and government-run orphanages, which always complemented the overall theme and provided a good backdrop for Ludmila's tumultuous journey. The narrative skillfully weaves together intricate relationships, memorable scenes, and the challenging societal context, creating a powerful and immersive exploration of Ludmila's quest for survival, family, and hope.

Overall, the book is well-written, and the narrative is intriguing and captivating. I don't see anything to criticize about the book, except for several times when the narrative became quite prolonged and jarring. I guess it's because I read this book just after reading another one with a very fast pace, so that's what I was still accustomed to. I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars for the above reasons. I found no errors, and the editing quality is excellent. I highly recommend the book if you're looking for something amazing to read.

A Single Desperate Prayer
View: on Bookshelves
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: 300 Dollars and 3 Suitcases What's Next? by Dwayne M. Thomas

Post by Clauson Justin »

How does Ludmila deal with all the happenings around her especially as a young girl? The fact that her mother is not of much help does not make the situation better. I look forward to reading the book.
Gene Gene
Currently Reading: Deceptive Calm
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Gene Gene »

Ditto to everything in the book description and back cover! I expect this book to find a wide, wide audience absolutely pleased to read and truly take-in this book. Written in the voice of a child, it's easy to read. Written by a street-smart creative genius, it plays-out like a feature film.
If you're like me, you'll be itching for the next one and you won't get disappointed!
Gene Gene

Post by Gene Gene »

Did you like my review! please lemme know 😁
Shinshinshin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Shinshinshin »

The review highlights "A Single Desperate Prayer" by Ludmila Ritz as a captivating and well-written narrative set in 1990s Ukraine. The story follows Ludmila, a resilient young girl facing poverty and family troubles. The reviewer praises the unique storytelling, empathetic characterization, and the immersive portrayal of the setting. With no notable criticisms except for a minor pacing issue, the book receives a glowing 5-star rating and is highly recommended as an amazing read.
Gene Gene

Post by Gene Gene »

Personally, "A single desperate prayer" by Ludmilla Ritz is one of most charming books I've read this year. Here, Author Ludmilla Ritz sets writes a about Ludmilla a youth girl who faces life's harsh difficulties back in the late 20th century. I would like to give credit to how unique the story is and also the genius of language use by the author. It's a straight 5 star from me for the book.
Thank you!
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

As an official reviewer, you offer a compelling analysis of "A Single Desperate Prayer" by Ludmila Ritz, highlighting its gripping narrative and rich character development. John, your insightful review underscores the book's emotional depth and immersive storytelling. A must-read recommendation!

Thanks for this detailed analysis. :tiphat:
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”