Featured Review: Portrait of Stella

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimberly23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Featured Review: Portrait of Stella

Post by kimberly23 »

:P so
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I'm most intrigued by the switching of narrators. I've once read a series where each book was told from 1 of 3 main characters, giving not only the character's rich complexity but the world as well. Portrait of Stella allows for that same kind of growth in both Stella and Jemima to develop the scene through their point of views. This book might not be one of my favorites, but the mechanics of multiple narrators is always something to be applauded.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Ebe Read
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3364">Good Omens</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebe-read.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ebe Read »

As I am from South Africa, this book is pushing some of my buttons, but from your review, I should probably read it. Thanks for your insights.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Nacih Mohssine
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19897">A Hunger Artist</a>
Currently Reading: The Sun Also Rises
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Nacih Mohssine »

What to expect from a book whose title is "Portrait of Stella"??
We know that good books have good titles and great books have great titles. That seems a value judgment. But as a reader, I have that right to be captured by titles, knowing also that titles function good a tool to motivate readers to read and/or purchase a book. At least, this is what we have been taught in the first lessons in composition, and what discourse analysis preaches every now and then; choose the best titles to sell and capture.
For instance, the movie "Fight Club", is a movie that is about a club for those who are interested in fighting. This is, for me, a good title, that gives me an idea about the what the movie is about. Watching the movie emphasises this idea agreat deal. As a consequence, I am not deceived by the title; in fact, I am glad to have the movie gaining my entrusted reading.
Back to the question: what do I have to expect from the title?I expect that it is a book about a painting, drawing, photograph, or engraving of a person, especially one depicting only the face or head and shoulders like saying ‘a portrait of George III’, and ‘a portrait painter’. consulting any dictionary would have the same idea about what a portrait is. I expect that it is a book about a representation or impression of someone or something in language or on film or television like saying ‘the writer builds up a fascinating portrait of a community’.
At least, what I do expect this: it is a book about Stella, a woman, a girl, a female character. In this book, I expect that Stella is an known person to me, that through the book, I would gain some information via a narratological systme that may render this unknown person as a real person, in terms of good deeds, that I would, by finishing reading the book, be glad that i have added to my knowledge that there is a character called Stella whose life in a book has left me with so much interess. And now I am interested.
Otherwise, why should I care of a person at all?
ahanmisi anna
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ahanmisi anna »

good one
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Thank you for this good review. I saw the cover and thought it wouldn't be any good, not a good way to judge a book, but this review has me interested. Finding out where you come from is always a good read for me. Adding this book to my shelves to read later.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Sheela kanwal
Currently Reading: The Expelled
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sheela kanwal »

That's a great review! It's really interesting and beautiful. It is very well defined and easy. I think it will be a good read. Looking forward to it.

Thank you !
Dayang Siti Zuraida
Currently Reading: Superhighway 2
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Dayang Siti Zuraida »

Wow! This book really make us to think who is Jemima actually. Why her family fake her birth certificate? Whats the story behind the family secret.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Fantastic review! I am so interested in reading this! I will definitely add it to my shelf.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

This book sounds very interesting and I like that it is a worldwide search to discover who Jemima is. It reminds of the adult children who find out that they are adopted and relentlessly search for their birth parents. I like that the novel has two main characters that share their stories.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
ngugielikamz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ngugielikamz »

Sounds intriguing I really would like to read this book
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I know I'm interested in reading this book, and I usually don't like historical novels. This is a very nice review, and it makes the novel sound nice as well. I hope I get to read it.
Mrsbellaz
Currently Reading: Who told you that you were naked
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsbellaz.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Mrsbellaz »

Great review! I can't imagine finding out my whole existence was a lie. Sounds like a really good read.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Viktor Mihajlovski
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Viktor Mihajlovski »

Thanks for the review, a great job, well done, will put this book on my to read list ... :)
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

Thanks for the informative review. It sounds like an interesting read and I love that it has an air of mystery and self-discovery. I'm not much of a World War II read though, so I would probably skip this one.

Return to “Historical Fiction”