Official Review: Fukushima and the Coming Tokyo Earthquake:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Official Review: Fukushima and the Coming Tokyo Earthquake:

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fukushima and the Coming Tokyo Earthquake:" by Tony Smyth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do we do to protect Mother Nature? Do we strive to understand the dangers we face caused by our own doing? I updated myself with the news about the tragic 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan. My main concern was how to contact my relatives who were living in Japan. Never did I realize that there was more that I must pay attention to. I realized that there was a greater problem behind the problems.I thank Tony Symth for opening my eyes to this reality.

Fukushima and the Coming Tokyo Earthquake by Tony Smyth is an informative book. Smyth presented his insights with reach empirical data. The book contains information that may save the whole world. It has 12 excellent chapters. In my case who does not belong to the field of natural sciences, I tried to cluster the book into themes: Japan’s cultural, economic, and political aspects; Japan’s 2011 tsunami and its aftermath; the impacts of nuclear power plants and how authorities try to address them; and serious conditions which may lead to worse problems.

What I like about this book is its rich empirical evidence as he presents each topic. He presented an overview which prepares the reader for what to expect. I appreciate the maps which the author used. They help the reader to imagine the location of the important places in Japan. For me, it would have been better if the maps have colors. I also admire the graphical presentations. The graphs present a clear picture of the concepts.

I do not recommend readers to finish this book in a single sitting. I recommend readers to take a few minutes and reflect after reading each chapter. It is important to reflect because it is the very essence of this book. The readers must read the short notes and watch the video from fukushimatokyoquake.com as suggested by the author. The website will give readers more information related to the topics. It will also guide them to have a better understanding of the themes.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of its noble purpose and it is evident that this book was professionally edited. The young adults may not like this much because it is very technical in nature but this is a significant piece. It is a rich source of knowledge and information. It is perfect for people in the field of environmental science. People who do not belong to the field may also read this but must pay close attention to the details. I cannot wait for the next book of Tony Smyth about our environment.

Fukushima and the Coming Tokyo Earthquake:
View: on Bookshelves

Like Donnavila Marie01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I don't think this is the book for me since I don't usually read informative books. However, this seems like a great read if you want to know more about Japan and its earthquakes. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Ah, a book that is not recommended to be read in one sitting is not my cup of tea but this book sounds really interesting. Great review.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

This sounds like a very powerful book on a very relevant topic. I hope it reaches a wide audience so we can try make the earth survivable for a while longer. Great review, thank you!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I'm not sure if I would read this book, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Great review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
pobox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pobox »

Probably not for me but I applaud author's noble intention and reviewer great review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like that this is an informative book about environmental science. I agree that this book probably wouldn't be for everyone. In spite of that, I certainly see this book gathering readers who will enjoy it.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there's a lot of good information in this book. It definitely sounds like one you need to take a little while to process. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

ZenaLei7 wrote:I don't think this is the book for me since I don't usually read informative books. However, this seems like a great read if you want to know more about Japan and its earthquakes. Great job on the review!
Thanks. This book is focused on Japan and uts earthquakes but this concerns the whole of humanity.

-- 27 May 2017, 21:47 --
godreaujea wrote:This sounds like a very powerful book on a very relevant topic. I hope it reaches a wide audience so we can try make the earth survivable for a while longer. Great review, thank you!
Thanks much. This is indeed one of the books that we need at this point in time. We need to liberate ourselves and we need to realize our role in this aging earth.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”