Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Emma Gomez by Emma Gomez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Emma Gomez by Emma Gomez

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 27 Apr 2017, 14:41

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emma Gomez" by Emma Gomez.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Emma Gomez: A Courageous Woman Displays True Grit is an autobiography focusing on the author’s recollections of her achievements and how she attained them over the course of her life. Born in the rural mountains of Puerto Rico, Emma started out with very little. Over time, Emma’s experiences led her to New York City where she married her high school sweetheart and became a contributing member of the workforce. Emma faced many personal and professional struggles throughout her life, but perseverance and smart decision making led her on a journey to becoming a highly educated and successful woman.

The book is organized by topics and follows a relatively non-linear timeline. The author intersperses personal anecdotes with opinions on themes like child rearing, marriage, friendships, family and education. There is no doubt that the author has accomplished a great deal throughout her life and come a long way from her meager upbringing. Emma’s ability to continue improving her life, despite personal and professional setbacks, is inspiring.

Though there is a lot of merit to Emma’s achievements, the narration of this autobiography is rather irksome. The constant use of telling instead of showing makes the narrative almost unbearable in parts. The writing style fails to appeal to the reader’s senses and further fails to connect the reader to the author on an emotional level. Statements like ‘Now I will explain another incident,’ and ‘So let me tell you about this man,’ occur on almost every page and quickly become tedious to read. A successful narrator shouldn’t have to tell readers ‘this is the message I want to convey.’ Fundamentally, this message should be built into the narrative.

Any type of writing, whether it be fiction or non-fiction, must have structure. Unfortunately, this book significantly lacks structure and thus the narrative is a monotonous recitation of one event after another with unclear connection to the themes. Though many themes are touched upon, the associated personal anecdotes fail to transcend facts and connect to these themes. For example, the author implores the reader to consider the difficulty of being a female minority in the workplace; though many readers will know this is a relevant issue, the stories related to this topic are emotionally detached and the author always seems to come out on top, relatively unaffected by this theme.

Writing family history is an important part of life. However, an interesting life story doesn’t always translate into an engaging autobiography. I commend the author for all of her achievements. Unfortunately, the narration of this book doesn’t properly connect the reader to the author’s life. The flat writing style along with the lack of structure make this book considerably less influential than it should be; for those reasons, I rate Emma Gomez: A Courageous Woman Displays True Grit 2 out of 4 stars. If the narration had better structure and the stories included more emotion instead of factual recitations, I would have rated this book higher.

Emma Gomez
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Tiny Makes a Friend" by Eva Schmidler
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 240%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Emma Gomez by Emma Gomez

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 14 Jul 2017, 14:28

Yeah, I think that style of narrative would get on my nerves as well. It's too bad as it sounds like it might have some good content. For now, I'll avoid this one. Thanks for the review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Star Boat" by Roger F. Vanderlaan
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 82 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 65%

Post Number:#3 by LadyClaire
» 14 Jul 2017, 16:30

I love autobiographies and judging from your review, the author might have been in a hurry to tell her story. I think I'll let this one slip and console myself with the thought that after all, "it might have some good content". Thanks for the review, MariaRose
LadyClaire

Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 20 books
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#4 by raikyuu
» 14 Jul 2017, 18:33

I wonder why this biography was written in the first place. But anyway, I usually stop reading when the narrative becomes dry. This is a helpful review.
What should I do with my life?

"You don't have to do anything."
raikyuu

Favorite Book: The Republic
Currently Reading: A History of Western Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 32 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 86%

Post Number:#5 by Onyinyechukwu
» 14 Jul 2017, 20:26

Sound like an honest review, passed the message across clearly. Good work.
Onyinyechukwu's Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Onyinyechukwu

Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#6 by John Cand
» 14 Jul 2017, 20:52

Onyinyechukwu wrote:Sound like an honest review, passed the message across clearly. Good work.

I agree with this quote. Thanks for letting me know I can skip this one.
John Cand's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
John Cand

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by Princdavies
» 15 Jul 2017, 02:18

Nice review..looks intresting

-- 15 Jul 2017, 02:19 --

Good one
Princdavies

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#8 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 15 Jul 2017, 04:04

I dislike it when authors tell instead of show, it becomes more of a lecture. Thanks for the review.
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Post Number:#9 by JOELEKURI
» 15 Jul 2017, 10:14

Yeah its the same here, telling to an extended length without showing brings tiresome to reading. its one reason i rarely read voluminous articles and books. but that should not discourage from reading if you really want to.
JOELEKURI

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#10 by Quirinius
» 20 Jul 2017, 09:33

Love your review, Thanks
Quirinius

Favorite Book: The Limitless Real Estate Leader
Currently Reading: Stars in the Darkness