Review of True Colors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: Let The Children Come by Tom Fay

Review of True Colors

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "True Colors" by Mary Korte.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

True Colors by Mary Korte follows the life of Mary Korte, who was constantly abused by her stepmother and bullied in school. Her maltreatment made her frantically yearn and need to understand what a mother's affection genuinely feels like. In the fall of 1956, Mary was happy to learn that she would be staying with her father’s cousin, Martha, and her husband, who were childless. They both raised and treated her like the daughter they never had. Right from a young age, Mary realized that she had white privileges and was always uncomfortable about that fact. Uncomfortable with the notion of white supremacy bestowed on her, Mary takes us on a journey as she displays acts of acceptance in her everyday life, adopting "acceptance" as her skin color.

I have always wondered why children spoke pejoratively about people of color. Where did that knowledge come from? Then I realized that children are indeed very impressionable, and they tend to take what they learn from their parents and close friends at face value. They often lack the critical thinking skills to question or challenge the things they're told, and they tend to trust that the adults in their lives are telling them the truth. Unfortunately, this is how racism is passed down from generation to generation.

This book was interesting. I love how young Mary generally attempts to warm up to people of color in spite of being informed that, assuming she does so, nobody will talk with her. I also loved how older Mary strived to ensure that her workplace represented the diversity of the community. This book highlights how we should behave toward everyone. Mary was always ecstatic when a black family moved into the community. I learned new things from Mary, and just like she suggested in the last pages of her book, "we have to find a lens that filters out racism and showcases acceptance as our true color."

I rate this book a 5 out of 5. I really loved it, and I believe it will serve as an inspiration to many. Mary’s zeal to still want to attend college after almost 12 years of leaving high school will serve as a motivation not just to Americans but to anyone in the world. This book was exceptionally well edited, and I just had no negatives to note.

I recommend this book to high school students and adults.

True Colors
View: on Bookshelves
Donald Cecil Hufstedler
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Donald Cecil Hufstedler »

This review provides a positive perspective on the book "Share True Colors" by Mary Korte. The reviewer praises the main character's journey toward acceptance and the lessons learned about racism. The book is described as interesting, well-edited, and inspiring. The reviewer highly recommends it to high school students and adults.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Azaz Raja »

What an insightful review of "True Colors" by Mary Korte! Your reflection on the origins of racism and the impact of upbringing on children's perceptions is thought-provoking. It's inspiring to hear about Mary's journey towards acceptance and her efforts to promote diversity in her workplace and community. Your enthusiastic endorsement of the book, coupled with its exceptional editing, makes it a must-read for many. Thank you for sharing your perspective, and I'm eager to delve into Mary's story myself!
J Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by J Writes »

With special reference to Mary's character, this review offers perceptive observations on the book's themes of racism, impressionability, and acceptance.

The critic wisely notes that peer and parental influence is the primary source of racial sentiments among youngsters. Racism is a taught bias that has to be addressed and challenged since it is exacerbated by a lack of critical thinking abilities and a propensity to trust adults. These factors lead to the persistence of racism throughout generations.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

"True Colors" ignites excitement in me with its profound journey from hardship to acceptance, highlighting the powerful shift from enduring racism to embodying inclusion. Mary Korte's transformative story, not just about overcoming adversity but actively promoting diversity, serves as a beacon of hope and a call to action against racial biases. This book is a testament to the power of acceptance as our truest color, inspiring me to champion inclusivity in my own life.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”