Official Review: Tales from a Mad Man's Wife

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Tales from a Mad Man's Wife

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales from a Mad Man's Wife" by Marilyn Miller Skylar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When most of us think of Mad Men, we think of the recent television series of the same name featuring a fictional advertising company. Marilyn Miller Skylar’s Tales From a Mad Man’s Wife takes us behind the scenes into real ad agencies, as well as the life and career of one very special Mad Man. Skylar’s husband, David Skylar, was one of the most influential Mad Men from the gilded advertising era that spanned the 1950s and 1960s. (For ease of reading, this reviewer will refer to the author as Skylar and her husband as David.)

Skylar uses anecdotes as her primary method of telling us about David’s life. The anecdotes come from her memory, stories from others, pictures, letters and various documents. Little comes from David himself as he suffered a debilitating stroke in 2004, causing him to lose his long-term memory. Skylar’s reason for writing was to help her husband “remember”. We are brought to tears as well as laughter as we learn about the life and times of David Skylar.

Skylar shares a bit of their background as a couple; she met David shortly after he finished serving our country during World War II. She also shares a bit of their courtship, as well as some information about both of them to help the reader understand the influences of their early years. The book is mostly about David, but as his wife, Skylar is naturally a part of it. Learning about their three children, and what life was like for them as a family, helps the reader get to know the real David. The ups and downs of their marriage help us to remember that they are real people.

David’s career in advertising really started in Cleveland, Ohio in the 1950s. He moved up the ranks and was considered a “Golden Boy” in the emerging industry. He eventually delved into publishing, as well as other related business ventures. Much of his life was centered in Cleveland, New Orleans and central Florida. We learn of involvement with teamsters and unexpected connections with “the Mob”, as well as politicians, actor Omar Sharif, and even the real life girl behind the Plaza Hotel’s Eloise character.”

Tales From A Mad Man’s Wife is an easy read, far from the typically dry and dull biography that is often focused on names, dates, etc. One of the greatest strengths is Skylar’s ability to really make a person feel like they know David by the time they finish reading the book. In addition to getting to know David, the Mad Man, the reader learns so much about advertising and publishing, in an entertaining and fun way.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story is excellent. However, there are weaknesses. The story is mostly chronological, which is fine, but almost every anecdote is its own chapter. Some seem repetitive and not necessarily needed to share David’s story. Many of the anecdotes could be combined into a chapter, showing the connections between the stories rather than being in the tiny, disjointed chapters. It is well worth reading, despite the weaknesses.

Tales from a Mad Man's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like how much background you go to in this review. It gives a prospective reader great insight on the point of view the "tales" are coming from.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that this isn't the typical dry biography. It's too bad about the organization, though. Still, it seems like it's worth a read. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds like an interesting story. David and Skylar seem to have had an interesting life. It is encouraging that the couple stayed together despite such challenges.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

This sounds interesting! I do have a question though: one of the best aspects of Mad Men as a TV show was how it examined the various sexist power structures in the industry. Does this go into that at all?
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 16:53 This sounds interesting! I do have a question though: one of the best aspects of Mad Men as a TV show was how it examined the various sexist power structures in the industry. Does this go into that at all?
Yes, that subject is touched on in the story, but it's not a major theme.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I like that the book is not focused on names and dates, it can often make biographies tedious to read. This one sounds like a book I would enjoy reading at bedtime.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

From the way you review it, this biography seems to be appealing to me now especially the couple choose to stay together despite the difficulties of life.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 03:28 I like that the book is not focused on names and dates, it can often make biographies tedious to read. This one sounds like a book I would enjoy reading at bedtime.
I quickly lose interest when the focus is on names and dates.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I like to read this book! I'm after the interesting story of David and Skylar as husband and wife.The ups and downs of their relationships can help many couple to realize that married still sacred despite of many circumstances. Nice review! Thanks.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

We don't often get a memoir by a wife that isn't about abuse, neglect, or 'done me wrong' - what a refreshing approach. It comes to mind that it's a wonderfully loving tribute, especially given his incapacitation. Thanks for the review, nicely done!
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

KLafser wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 16:01 We don't often get a memoir by a wife that isn't about abuse, neglect, or 'done me wrong' - what a refreshing approach. It comes to mind that it's a wonderfully loving tribute, especially given his incapacitation. Thanks for the review, nicely done!
I hadn't really thought of that aspect of the book. You are right, it really is a different kind of book than many memoirs.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”