Official Review: If I Can Just Focus by Ubong Ekpo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: If I Can Just Focus by Ubong Ekpo

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If I Can Just Focus" by Ubong Ekpo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If I Can Just Focus by Ubong “Yubi” Ekpo is a non-fiction book, which can likely be put into the sub-category of “self-help” or “motivation”. This book aims to help the reader better their life through a concise understanding of what they want, how to go about getting it, and how to stay on the path to success, despite all the distractions around us. He uses practical advice backed by real-life examples as well as a variety of powerful references to bring his points home.

Yubi takes the approach to this book that there are five keys, that he has found throughout his professional life, to maintaining/gaining sanity and achieving focus. He goes through these five keys in the different chapters of the book and has them embedded inside the word FOCUS: Find it, Own it, Channels of Focus, Unity and Openness to Change, and Systems and Habits. A chapter is dedicated to each of these five topics. In the “Find it” chapter, Yubi discusses how to figure out what you should be doing in life and how to determine in what fields you are likely to succeed. He argues that once you have found your niche, you are more likely to stay focused, motivated, and successful. In the “Own it” chapter, he discusses the importance of completely owning, taking responsibility for, and directing all aspects of your life. In the “Channels of Focus” chapter, he discusses how to set yourself and your environment up for success. In the final two chapters, he discusses how both change and systems affect our focus and how to turn them to our advantage.

I am not usually a reader of the motivational or self-help genre of literature, but I definitely found this one interesting. As I read the different chapters, I not only got the feeling that I could use some of what he was preaching in my own personal life, but also see how it would be applicable for managers and leaders of all sizes of groups/businesses. The book discusses both how to set up your own personal environment around your for concentrated focus and success, as well as how to set up an environment for your team/business/family that is conducive to success. I really liked that he formulated his chapters not only with his own philosophical perspectives and points of view, but also with concrete examples from his professional life, leaders in the field, and scientific studies. Some of the anecdotes that he added to the text really hit the nail on the head to finalize what he was trying to say. What I liked the most about this book was that it gets you thinking; after finishing the book I found myself concentrating on some of the suggestions made and on how I could better set up myself and my surroundings for success.

One of the issues I had reading this book was how the version I received was formatted. I chose to read the MOBI version offered and it was extremely erratic on my Kindle application on my phone/tablet and only marginally better on my Kindle e-reader. There were line spaces in the middle of sentences and the logical divisions in the chapters / sub-sections were not very clear. As well, the first several pages contained some sort of content, probably pictures, that only showed up as horizontal lines of varying length. I hope that this was just a situation with that file format, but it was very distracting while reading. What I liked the least about the book was, although full of very interesting information, how it came off as if the author was giving a course verbally to a classroom (which is what the author is used to doing). Whereas when listening to a talented speaker, vocalizing comments from a devil’s advocate would be a useful technique (e.g. “But Hey,” you might say, “Did you ever think about …”), in a book like this I found it distracting.

Since the book really made me begin a process of introspection and I did find many nuggets of useful information in this short book, I have no qualms giving If I Can Just Focus by Ubong Ekpo 3 out of 4 stars. Even though it made me think and maintained my interest, I don’t think that the concepts in the book were mind-altering. This, along with the formatting issues I encountered, lost this book its potential fourth star. As Yubi says himself in the book, this text is geared towards “helping seekers, leaders and teams alike” and I would tend to recommend this book to those individuals looking for some additional focus towards bettering their life. If you do not like to read motivational, self-help, or leadership type literature, this book will definitely not be for you.

If I Can Just Focus
View: on Bookshelves

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a great motivational book that should be on the shelves of many readers. I am someone who has a hard time focusing on things so this book might be one that I need to read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like it would be of help to some. I don't really get into motivational books, but it sounds like there are good tips. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

Amagine wrote:This sounds like a great motivational book that should be on the shelves of many readers. I am someone who has a hard time focusing on things so this book might be one that I need to read.

Great Review! ?
It definitely has its nuggets of wisdom that easily makes the reader question where they are in their lives and how to get the best of their environment. Thanks for the comment!

-- 28 Apr 2017, 09:08 --
kandscreeley wrote:This definitely sounds like it would be of help to some. I don't really get into motivational books, but it sounds like there are good tips. Thanks for the review.
I'm with you on this; it really isn't the genre that I get into either. That is one of the great things about this community too, it gets me a bit out of my comfort zone to discover interesting reads like this. Simply because it was something that I wouldn't USUALLY read, I think I appreciated it more. Thanks for the comment!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Using the word "FOCUS" as a theme for a motivational book is quite ingenious. It looks we can all glean some useful information from this book.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

Chrys Brobbey wrote:Using the word "FOCUS" as a theme for a motivational book is quite ingenious. It looks we can all glean some useful information from this book.
I agree. I also liked another point that he brought up in this book. I way to look at parsing out large tasks that may deter us from carrying on with the work. If you want to cut down a tree, you go and take 5 swings of the axe every day. Eventually, the tree will fall. We need to figure out what is our tree (goal) and what our five swings are (actions to meet the goal) and to do some of them each day. The number five fits almost too well in conjunction with the five letters of FOCUS to be a coincidence. Thank you for the comment.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting, informative and helpful book especially to those who find it difficult to keep things in perspective. Good job on the review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I actually have trouble with focus and i love motivational books so this is right up my lane. Great review. Thanx

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”