Review of A History of Catalysts for Local Control

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: The Pearl on the String by Jenny Richter

Review of A History of Catalysts for Local Control

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A History of Catalysts for Local Control" by Raymond G. Lorber.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Catalysts for Local Control is a statewide volunteer organization of elected officials and regular citizens in California. Their goal is to provide affordable housing solutions while also respecting the safety and comfort of the community's homeowners. This is accomplished by providing people with the skills necessary to actively participate in government processes that help them achieve this. Raymond G. Lorber, an active member of this group, wrote "A History of Catalysts for Local Control," which details the events that led up to the formation of this noble assembly, as well as the goals they strive for and their successes.

Susan Kirsch founded Catalysts for Local Control, and I appreciated the book's recognition of her contributions. Her zeal for a better community around her was evident, and it is certainly something to emulate. Although it began as the "Nix the Nine Organization" in response to nine housing bills in 2020, it has grown into something much larger, with a selfless goal and very committed members. Finding like-minded people who share your goals fosters a strong commitment to achieving those goals. As a result, seven of those bills were repealed, which was a significant victory.

This book did an excellent job of detailing the history of this group. Aside from explaining how it was created, the book details the catalysts' activities over time. It gave a brief overview of their annual goals and obstacles. It was clear that they never let setbacks prevent them from achieving their goals, with the main impediment being the legislature's misinterpretation of the constitution in relation to population density and housing bills. It showed how this was handled formally, with respect for the opposition but also with a strong voice to be heard. This emphasizes the value of experience and lessons learned from its leaders, who in turn pass on this knowledge. Addressing these issues was done well, never making the book feel bloated or overwhelming with information. The multiple appendices for reference helped this process a lot.

This book, however, is not without flaws. I did not really understand what the book was about until later, when I got to learn about their yearly activities. I believe it would have benefited from a much clearer introduction. A clear definition of the catalysts' activities over time would have also aided comprehension, as the book appeared disorganized without it. Town hall meetings, for example, were listed with dates and attendees, but I was left wondering what prompted the meetings and what was discussed. These minor details contributed to a fragmented understanding that I could not shake.

Finally, this book could benefit from a proper editing team, as I discovered some sloppy errors. As a result of these factors, I give this book three out of five. It conveys an admirable message about the power of unity, but the shortcomings mentioned above detract from its enjoyment. It would be an excellent source of inspiration for community activists and those who want to see more considerate legislative laws enacted by the government in their community.

A History of Catalysts for Local Control
View: on Bookshelves
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The acknowledgment of Susan Kirsch's passionate contributions to creating a better community is inspiring. The book's detailed exploration of the group's evolution, annual goals, and victories despite setbacks highlights the power of commitment. Although the review mentions some flaws, the overall message about unity and considerate legislative action makes me eager to learn from this community's journey. Looking forward to this book.
Ringle Nashak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Ringle Nashak »

It’s great how you strategically laid out the sim of the catalysts along with their successes. It is truly a noble group.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Andrew Darlington »

A very detailed review of Catalysts for Local Control. I appreciate your honesty as regards the flaws contained in this book. Great Job.
Donald Cecil Hufstedler
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Donald Cecil Hufstedler »

The review provides a mixed perspective on the book "A History of Catalysts for Local Control." While it recognizes the admirable goals and successes of Share Catalysts for Local Control in California, it highlights certain flaws such as a lack of clarity in the book's introduction, disorganization in presenting the group's activities, and sloppy errors. Overall, the review suggests that the book may be an inspiring read for community activists interested in legislative laws, but it has some shortcomings that may affect its enjoyment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”