Official Review: Behind The Walls by Elizabeth Benjamin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Official Review: Behind The Walls by Elizabeth Benjamin

Post by Natalie Charlene »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind The Walls" by Elizabeth Benjamin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The prison system is designed to help keep society safe and to punish criminals while adhering to strict guidelines, but few people know what really goes on behind the walls of a prison. In her tell-all book, Behind the Walls, Elizabeth Benjamin shares her story, both the good and the shockingly horrible, giving readers a detailed look at one woman’s experience working in the prison system.

After watching her brother make his way in and out of prison and listening to his stories, Benjamin committed herself to working for the prison system. She devoted herself to volunteering in youth homes and received a proper education, pushing her closer to her dream. However, she was not prepared for what was to come.

From day one to her last day, Benjamin shares what it was like working alongside some of the most evil people she has ever dealt with—prison staff. Jerked around by leadership, bullied by staff, subjected to sexism, and watching favoritism—the things that went on inside the prison were a shock to Benjamin, who had dreamed of making a positive influence with her career choice. The experiences she endured caused such extreme stress that it started manifesting in physical symptoms. Even when she finally had enough and quit, the justice system kept letting her down.

My first reaction to Behind the Walls was that everyone should read it. As a society, we need to know what is truly going on, even if it is hard to swallow, so that we can come together and try to fix the issues. Benjamin shows strength and bravery by opening up about her personal experiences and revealing major problems, not only in the prison system, but also the justice system in general.

I rate Behind the Walls 3 out of 4 stars. This is an important book that forces people to open their eyes to what is going on in correctional facilities. I was shocked to read how terribly some members of staff treated both coworkers and inmates. I will never look at the prison system the same way, and I am glad that my eyes have been opened. While this story is great, the book needs to be thoroughly proofread. Also, at times it is a little vague and confusing. For confidentiality and legal purposes, locations are not given and names are changed, which can make Behind the Walls hard to follow, especially when the same names are given for different characters. However, the issues in no way take away from the story.

I would recommend that everyone reads Behind the Walls by Elizabeth Benjamin. We all should know what is going on in the prison system that is supposed to be keeping society safe.

Behind The Walls
View: on Bookshelves

Like Natalie Charlene's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Now this sounds like a great read because it is a story you don't hear very often. A female guard's memoir of working behind bars? I'm really interested in reading about all her experiences in that kind of atmosphere.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”