Official Review: Poisoned by Alan Bell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Poisoned by Alan Bell

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poisoned" by Alan Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poisoned: How a Crime-Busting Prosecutor Turned His Medical Mystery into a Crusade for Environmental Victims by Alan Bell is a unique autobiography about the author’s battle with environmental poisoning. Written from the first person perspective, Poisoned starts off describing Alan’s life before he became ill. A young lawyer, Alan is a real go-getter with experience as a prosecutor specializing in organized crime. After moving to private practice and securing a job as an attorney for an insurance company, Alan moves to a brand new, state of the art building. Around this time, Alan is plagued with a plethora of physical concerns. Multiple doctors prescribe standard medication for his mysterious ailments, but Alan’s condition fails to improve. At his wits end, but determined to rehabilitate his crippled body, Alan will go to any extreme to understand the root cause of his illness.

In recounting his story, the author does a wonderful job conveying the frustration of not understanding his illness, and the sadness of losing the ability to participate in basic societal functions like shopping or eating at a restaurant. Even more distressing is the fear he faces that his terminal illness will significantly damage his relationships with his wife and young daughter. As Alan went from one doctor to the next, crossing the country, spending more and more money, I cared about Alan and worried that his story would have a tragic ending.

Poisoned succeeds not only as an emotional mystery about one man’s physical and emotional decline, but also as an introduction to the unfamiliar risks of environmental poisoning. The narrative contains just the right amount of scientific fact and explanation, all of which is portrayed in easy to understand language. It took years for the author to fully understand the multiple reasons behind his crippling condition, exemplifying the scariest part of environmental poisoning – the unknown factor. The ending of the book contains a wealth of educational information detailing lifestyle changes and tips to limit chemical injury, as well as a list of recommended reading related to the subject.

Though the majority of the book is fast paced and keeps you wondering about the final outcome, the last section of the book describes some of the legal cases Alan works on later in his life and this portion moves a bit slower. The cases are interesting, yet this section of the book is more explanatory and lacks the personal touch contained in the first half of the autobiography.

Poisoned is a rare book as it is both incredibly moving and equally well researched. This book is a real eye-opener that anyone who is in the least bit health conscience should read. For the most part, Poisoned is a true page turner that utilizes the author's emotional experiences to make reading about an important scientific subject enjoyable and educational; therefore, I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Poisoned
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's great that it addresses a topic that you don't hear about too often. We're so use to hearing about common illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, HIV, that we don't realize that there are so many other illnesses that are affecting people. It's also a book of encouragement as we see the author's determination not to succumb to the poison.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

Amagine wrote:It's great that it addresses a topic that you don't hear about too often. We're so use to hearing about common illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, HIV, that we don't realize that there are so many other illnesses that are affecting people. It's also a book of encouragement as we see the author's determination not to succumb to the poison.

Great Review! ?
Thank you! It was really interesting to read about illness brought on by environmental factors. The book really is eye opening.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I saw this in the review section and was wondering about this myself. It is interesting to think what all could be going on around us that affect us. It's something we need to be aware of. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:I saw this in the review section and was wondering about this myself. It is interesting to think what all could be going on around us that affect us. It's something we need to be aware of. Thanks for the review.
I was a little hesitant when I first picked this one because I wasn't sure if it would just be a medical-type book. The author does a great job telling his story while also providing education about the topic. Highly recommend this one!
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

What a great review. I don't normal read this genre of book, but after reading this I really am tempted :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow! This sounds like a very well-written book. To take a topic like environmental poisoning and turn it into a page-turner is quite a feat! Kudos to the author, and thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I'm really interested in health and health concerns, and I really haven't heard much about environmental poisoning. It's definitely something that needs to be talked about more. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”