Review of What Really Counts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Changing Tide by Robert Joncas

Review of What Really Counts

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Really Counts" by August Irons.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

August Irons' non-fiction book "What Really Counts" tells the story of Cara, a prematurely born adult who managed to survive after having many complications. It details the author's first encounter with Cara as well as their subsequent contacts over the course of many years, forming a peculiar friendship.

The very first page of this book is sure to pique your interest and retain it throughout. In addition to that, it covers subjects including complications during childbirth, social awkwardness, not being able to have children, depression, suicidal thoughts, and other mental habits. The wording is simple and straightforward, and the author never deviated from the plot in any way. The final section of this book contains more information about premature babies, which is intended to provide the reader with a deeper understanding of these infants.

Due to the fact that my son was also born very prematurely, I decided to read this book. Even though he is sensitive to sound, our son does not yet have any of these concerns. This book opened my eyes to the fact that, in comparison to the difficulties Cara had to face, we were extremely fortunate in terms of how quickly my son recovered. I have a great deal of respect for the author because of the way he dealt with her. She is really an angel, but she is still unable to overcome the social limits she faces.

There were occasions when the book's layout was not displayed in the best possible way. For example, the page that contained the following chapter was occasionally the same page that contained the final page of the chapter that came before it.

The way the author managed to capture my attention from the very first page was great! The fact that he makes an effort to educate people about premature children is something that I am grateful for. I was unaware of the fact that premature babies can have more challenges in life compared to children who would have been born naturally before I became a parent of one. One last thing I hope is that this book will help other people to be kind to those who have problems similar to what Cara has.

I gave this book a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars because there was nothing about it that I disliked. In addition, the format errors did not annoy me in any way, and there were very few instances in which they occurred. I adored the fact that the book was able to hold my attention and that it could educate readers. I was only able to locate one mistake, which leads me to believe that the book has been edited professionally.

This is a book that I would recommend to those who might have someone in their life who was born prematurely or to anyone who would like to learn more about premature babies and the possible problems they might face.

What Really Counts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Donald Cecil Hufstedler
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Donald Cecil Hufstedler »

This review provides a positive outlook on the book "What Really Counts" by Share August Irons. The reviewer highlights the captivating storytelling and the author's ability to maintain the plot throughout. They appreciate the insight into the challenges faced by premature babies and commend the author's efforts in raising awareness. While a few formatting errors are mentioned, they generally did not detract from the reader's experience. The reviewer highly recommends the book, particularly to those who have experience with premature babies or wish to learn more about their struggles. Overall, it appears to be a compelling read with educational value.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The author's ability to capture your attention from the very first page is something that excites me about reading this book. Your personal connection to the subject matter, with your son being born prematurely, adds a heartfelt perspective. I appreciate how the book not only tells a compelling story about Cara but also educates readers about the challenges faced by premature babies. Looking forward to reading this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”