Official Review: The Accelerating World: Speed vs. Control

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chandre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandre.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Official Review: The Accelerating World: Speed vs. Contr

Post by Chandre »

This isn't something I would personally enjoy reading. Buy well done on book of the day.
kurenai
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kurenai »

the book is substantial. giving informations for what is happening and will be happening but on the other hand not my kind of book to be read on.
Yzamanrulz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yzamanrulz »

From my POV, this is actually a book that needs most attention lately. The world as we speak is just moving too fast like the author stated, with this rate its moving i fear there might be no future if its not controlled now. Everything is going into extinction, corruption is taking political power. This book is indeed an eye opener. Its a must read for every and anyone.
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I cannot wait to read The Accelerating World: Speed vs. Control because I enjoyed your review on it. I mean a book about the three aspects of an accelerating world has to be a good one. I am reading this real book about population and environment very, very soon.
Stonecold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Stonecold »

Truly it's not my area of interest but as the reviewer rightly said, The Accelerating world: Speed vs Control, should be an area of interest for everyone. Moreso I personally like to be well informed when it comes to population so this book is definately a good read for me. Thanks for the review.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

Sounds like interesting to read which is about cybercrime, hacking and others. Thank you this detailed review.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The book sounds like it is not meant to be read once, but rather as a text book you take time to study. Interesting. Great review.
Sal the Gal
Favorite Author: Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 89">Stig's Flight of Encounters</a>
Currently Reading: Bishop's War
Bookshelf Size: 9
fav_author_id: 64907

Post by Sal the Gal »

Thanks for the review. This looks very interesting, but it isn't quite what I'm looking for right now ie an easy read. I'll pop it on the shelf for a rainy day read. :D
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I commented a week ago, when this book was chosen as BOTD, that I love the author's premise about the interconnected nature of seemingly random events. I have now finished reading it and need to say how important I think this book is, especially at this time. Because of the quantity of technical detail, it is not an easy read but it is a worthwhile one.

I don't agree with all of the author's suggestions about how to deal with the issues humanity is faced with as a result of experiencing an accelerating world. However, I give him a lot of credit for an ambitious attempt to tackle very big subjects such as the environment, economic inequality and humanity's exploding population.

I found his idea of a global constitution an intriguing one. It would outline principles around such areas as individual freedom, equality, justice, the common good and sustainability. The challenge is how to balance conflicting principles. For example, he suggests limiting capital accumulation at a certain level as a means to address the vast economic inequalities between rich and poor. While I agree that economic inequality is an important issue, how would the author square a capital limit with individual freedom? I think the answer lies in a spiritual awakening that understands that we are truly all in this together and that what we do to others we do to ourselves.

Toward this end, I was particularly interested by what the author calls the "courage paradox." It states that the riskier the achievement, the more courage one needs. A point is reached where the risk is so high that the need for recognition fades and courage turns into selflessness.

The official reviewer indicates that the book is probably best read by those whose profession is to tackle the big issues the author takes on. However, I think humanity's progress requires a large number of us to participate in the process. At the end of the book, the author uses one of my favorite quotes:

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 »

Racing out of control - that's not news. Statistics and recommendations about what to do about it - helpful, maybe. The author does good with the facts and scares us to death. I'm not convinced that we mere humans can do anything about the situation except to cope with it.
Jim Thorne

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”