Official Review: The Accelerating World: Speed vs. Control

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Accelerating World: Speed vs. Control

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Accelerating World: Speed vs. Control" by Emmanuel Cassimatis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Accelerating World: Speed vs. Control is an informative and helpful book written by Emmanuel Cassimatis.

The book presents the amazing accelerating trend towards progress which may also mean an accelerating trend of presumably insignificant but actually severe adverse effects.

In addition to the Preface and Conclusion, the book is divided into three major parts. Part 1 features mysterious and seemingly unrelated events like the sudden depletion of sand, mysterious disappearance of some species at a mass extinction rate, surprising boom of diabetes somewhere in the Polynesia and exponential global personal data loss. Part 2 discusses the uncontrolled hyper growth for the past five decades in seven specific areas: population, economy, technology, data, environment, freedom and health. This hyper growth is due to the inverse relationship between speed and control and the combination of compounding, connectedness and cyclicity effects. Part 3 offers suggestions on how to possibly cope with this acceleration.

The book is a treasure trove of information backed up by several graphical analyses on the seven areas of study. Consequently, the valuable information discussed elicits various reactions from me, from interest, to concern, then alarm and ultimately, fear. The book is very organized in that each topic is followed by subtopics and ended with concise summaries. Though the book is teeming with jargons, it is apparent that the author tries to make the book understandable to ordinary readers and even includes a list of definition of terms at the end of the book. Moreover, claims are supported by references and references are neatly listed in a bibliography.

I find all the subject matters very interesting especially about population and environment. However, there are some discussions about specific topics that catch my attention. Among these are: personal online data breach due to cybercrime, cyber espionage, hacking and malware; superfast mass consumption or the people’s sudden need to buy more things than they actually need and at an accelerated pace; robotics and artificial intelligence; and exploitation of the environment. Moreover, I appreciate the inclusion of some very interesting anecdotes like ‘The story of the mighty King and the grain of wheat’ and the ‘Tulip bulbs in 1637 in Holland’ as well as other interesting information like the list of wealthiest men on the planet.

However, though the book is undoubtedly interesting, it is not to be read for amusement or entertainment. It tackles very serious subject matters that concern not only the present but more importantly the future generation. I also believe that it is intended for specific type of readers like political leaders, environmentalists and researchers. While the pieces of information imparted in the book are informative and helpful, the amount of information can be overwhelming to ordinary readers. Furthermore, I noticed typo errors (like Kind instead of King, tony instead of tiny and the instead of they) and missing words which are thankfully very few.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, informative and helpful. I recommend it to anybody who is interested in global phenomena and the future of the planet.

The Accelerating World: Speed vs. Control
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is definitely an area of concern for anyone right now, however, it's a little too deep for me at the moment. I might keep it on my radar to read at a later date. Thanks for pointing this one out to us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote:This is definitely an area of concern for anyone right now, however, it's a little too deep for me at the moment. I might keep it on my radar to read at a later date. Thanks for pointing this one out to us.
Though I strongly believe everyone should read it, the jargon may make it a difficult read and the information, as I said on the review, can be overwhelming.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an interesting book for those interested in such subjects. It is good that the information is backed up by graphical analyses. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

The book seems to tackle very serious topics. Though you mentioned that not everyone might be interested in it, I still think that everyone should read it. Thanks for the great review.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

This was probably not the most exciting book to review, but it does appear rather resourceful and necessary in our ever-changing world. You did a fantasic job reviewing it!! I have added it to my WTR list so that I can recommend it to others and/or refer to it when I am ready to examine the possibilities and future of our planet. Some teachers could have possibly used this in their classes a few weeks ago during Earth Day/Week. And, professors of Social and Political Science classes may find value in using this book to supplement some of their lessons. Although I am not overly excited about reading this on my spare time, I am happy I was introduced to it and I have downloaded my copy. It is the first book in my library of this kind. Never know...I may actually enjoy learning about gloablization and learn what I can do to help the planet and our future here on Earth! :-) Thank you, again!!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! This sounds like an interesting and informative book. I originally became interested in this topic when I was taking a class in college and learned about the looming concern with the impending extinction of bees. I have to admit that this does elicit many strong feelings in me especially concern, alarm and even fear. Thank you so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

This book sounds very interesting, but also frightening. However, this is the truth to what is happening to our world. Great review, and congrats to the author on making BOTD!
njoro_i
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by njoro_i »

with the trend in the rise of everyone trying to out do the other The Accelerating World:Speed vs Control is a manuscript a great masterpiece written to offer us the positive of development in every technological aspect while offering the negative aspect of it.The book offer the guideline to follow to help work with a hyper growing economy and the benefit of maintaining the growth at an equilibrium to avoid disequilibrium in the technological aspects
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

To be honest, it sounds a little confusing to me. This book might be a little bit more serious than I am looking for at this moment, but you did an excellent job with the review and it was very informative.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Kareatchison
Currently Reading: Pisces: Book 1 (The Zodiac Twin Flame Series)
Bookshelf Size: 43

Post by Kareatchison »

Based on the review, the subject matter is truly the depressing state of the planet. I do a lot of independent research to keep informed. I don't know if I will tackle the book at this point but I will table it.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I don't think this is the book for me. Even though it sounds interesting, i don't usually like to read books that are informative. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Lovely Eimeren
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-eimeren.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Lovely Eimeren »

This review helps me a lot! I am fascinated to read this book. I thought it's about business because the author is MBA. But as I read your review, I am enlightened. I look forward to reading this book because I want to cope with speed and control. Personally, I am overwhelmed by how things suddenly change! It feels like I'm out. But with this book, I know I will grow again and will be equipped to have more control in this fast phased world.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Topics like this have always been really interesting to me. It kind of reminds of the Butterfly Effect where small actions can have huge consequences. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Books about population and future issues facing the human race are interesting to me and this one looks like a good read
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”