Official Review: Undeterred by Tracey Brame

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Undeterred by Tracey Brame

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Undeterred" by Tracey Brame.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine studying hard and pressing toward a goal of being admitted to West Point. Eventually, your dreams come true and, though difficult, you feel you are where you belong. Then imagine one day in your second year at West Point, you wake up to find yourself in a strange hotel with no recollection of how you got there. You also have no memories to tell you why you hurt all over, or why your boyfriend is acting strangely. You are fatigued beyond comprehension for no apparent reason. When you are back on campus, you collapse and are taken to the hospital. The doctors ask if you have been raped. To your knowledge, the answer is “no.” Yet, the doctors write up in the medical report that you have the most horrific injuries they have ever seen.

This is the beginning of Tracey Brame’s story, as written in Undeterred. This is the beginning of Tracey's struggle with PTSD and dissociative memory disorder. Unfortunately for Tracey, she was surrounded by people who believe a woman should never be better than a man. If a woman is naturally smarter than men, works harder than men, in any way shows up a man, that woman deserves nothing but to be taken down, beaten, and destroyed. Jaynes C. Jhomes, Jr. comes into Tracey’s life as the perfect gentleman wooing and protecting her from the jeers and taunts of the mostly white population of West Point. Tracey and Jaynes appeared to be the perfect African American couple. After gaining Tracey’s loyalty, Jaynes raped her so viciously, her mind refused to take it in. PTSD ruled the rest of Tracey’s life.

I have, of course, heard of PTSD, but I did not know that PTSD can take the form of a severe short-term memory loss. Traumatic events are completely blocked and the sufferer exhibits extreme fatigue among other things. Only after enough time passes, the repressed memories may start to return in flashbacks. After being raped by Jaynes, Tracey had no memory of the event. She did not remember this event for many years, which allowed Jaynes to continue exploiting her. When his subsequent murder attempt failed, he resorted to destroying Tracey's life by any means possible, including the manipulation of voice recordings that he mailed to all of her future employers.

When Tracey graduated from West Point, she ended up in Indiana as a representative for Pfizer. Her job was to peddle drugs to doctor offices. What Tracey did not know is that her territory was ruled by the KKK. The doctors in the area would “vote” on new drug reps. Any rep they did not like would be run out of town. As a black female, Tracey did not have a chance. As a PTSD sufferer, Tracey faced additional challenges that nearly claimed her life.

Undeterred is the raw autobiography of a young black woman who faced extreme challenges as a rape victim and a victim of the KKK. As such, parts of Undeterred are very difficult to read. I personally cannot understand treating another person in such a vile manner as Tracey was treated. Neither can I understand the malicious intent of the doctors in Indiana. I am glad that Tracey is a survivor and that she has the courage to expose this system.

Tracey’s story is simple and yet complex. For someone who does not suffer with PTSD, it is difficult to understand how these horrible things could be happening with Tracey having no recollection of them. It could give her the appearance of being mentally deficient in some way. However, her good grades, strong work ethic, and consistent successes belie any intelligence problems. As Tracey writes her story, she gives the reader advance understanding of situations that she did not have the luxury of knowing while she was living them. As difficult as I found the story to read, I found it equally difficult to put down. I had to know the outcome of Tracey's story.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I cannot give it a 4-star rating, as there is an apparent formatting problem. I was reading a pdf version on my iPod, which I understand sometimes formats material incorrectly, but several sections appear to have been copy/pasted into the wrong place, making for somewhat of a jarring reading experience now and then. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a glimpse into PTSD or dissociative memory loss, as well as to anyone wishing to see how the KKK operates in modern times. The KKK no longer goes around in white sheets burning crosses in front yards, but this does not mean the KKK no longer exists. I would not recommend Undeterred for young readers. Neither would I recommend it without adequate forewarning for readers who may struggle with PTSD in any format.

Undeterred
View: on Bookshelves

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This really sounds like an interesting read, although probably somewhat disturbing. Too bad about the editing, but hopefully they can fix that up in another edition. Thanks for the good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! This really sounds like an interesting read, although probably somewhat disturbing. Too bad about the editing, but hopefully they can fix that up in another edition. Thanks for the good review.

It is disturbing. I determined to finish the book, because I do not wish to have my head in the sand about racial tensions. Some of the more horrific details are muted - given factually rather than having some sort of rape scene played out verbally. I was thankful for that, at the least :shock: Thanks for stopping by!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm back reading the review again as I have a horrible short term memory and forgot that I already read and commented. In seeing it a second time, it really seems like a book everyone should read. Stories like this need to get out there. I think it's something everyone should be aware of. I'm glad that you mentioned that the details are given factually rather than a scene that plays out. I think that would be a little easier to tolerate (I guess it's nice that we can have it be made easy for us to tolerate when I know it wasn't easy to experience.) Thanks again. I'm definitely going to look into reading this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow, this definitely seems like a must read book. I am so sorry that Tracey had to go through all that. When the characters are fictional you can find comfort in knowing that so and so didn't actually get raped because she is just a figment but when it is an autobiography like this, I think readers are more emotionally invested. Great job on the review.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

When I started reading the review I thought it was a fictional piece of writing. I was shocked when I got to the point that said it was an autobiography. How could humans be so wicked to treat others so unjustly? My view is that animals are kinder to their kindred than humans are.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
greenstripedgiraffe

You're right. The horror lies in that this is real.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

What a bad ordeal for Tracey. I will read this book to know more about PTSD
greenstripedgiraffe

Rosemary Okoko wrote:What a bad ordeal for Tracey. I will read this book to know more about PTSD
I definitely learned some things about PTSD that I did not know prior to this book. Shocking!
ebolen01
Currently Reading: Succubus Blues
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ebolen01 »

As a psychology major, your review really piqued my interest. I would love to read this book to gain another perspective of PTSD and how it affects people. Thank you for your review!
greenstripedgiraffe

ebolen01 wrote:As a psychology major, your review really piqued my interest. I would love to read this book to gain another perspective of PTSD and how it affects people. Thank you for your review!
You're welcome! I hope this book will help you with some extra understanding. Thank you for reading my review!
Ameka Light
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ameka Light »

I definitely learned some things about PTSD that
I did not know prior to this book. Shocking! and I am willing to read more.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The author was attacked by her so called boyfriend. suffers from a PTSD as a result, and was a KKK target to boot? How shocking! I also can't understand treating others in such a vile manner. Thank you for your insightful review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

Humanity is a recurring cycle of karma - those who are students of history would have discovered this. I hail the affected girl's determination. Shocking story.
greenstripedgiraffe

gali wrote:The author was attacked by her so called boyfriend. suffers from a PTSD as a result, and was a KKK target to boot? How shocking! I also can't understand treating others in such a vile manner. Thank you for your insightful review!
Thank you for your kind comments! Yes, this book was very difficult to read! I wish everyone would read it and have their eyes opened about race problems in this country!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”