Review by mmallory -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmallory
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmallory.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by mmallory -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by mmallory »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Banned Book about Love by Scott Hughes
The Banned Book about Love is a short and direct book about a variety of things but seeming to center on attitudes and the ways in which we sadly choose hate over love. The book begins with a reference to Brock Turner, the swimmer convicted of multiple sexual felonies. However, this is NOT a book about Brock Turner. It’s a book about love and about hate. It’s a book about how we use hate as a cover for all of the things that we should do but choose not to.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. What I love about this book is that it is, in its basic form, a call to action. And it is, in fact, an effective one. The message that we should do something, as opposed to complaining and spouting our hate for other people, resonated with me. At places, the book got a bit wordy and would seem to temporarily derail such that I thought the effort to keep the book short may have been the issue. It seems that the author had plenty to say and could have made the book a bit longer, giving himself time to fully explain his thoughts and arguments a bit better. Still, it is well written and effective as a call to action for its readers.

Individuals interested in self improvement of almost any kind, those who are spiritual, and those who simply strive to be good people would enjoy the book and appreciate the perspective. Close-minded readers who seek material that only agrees with, or supports, their existing point of view will not be impressed with this work.

Perhaps my favorite part of this book was the analogy of hate = spending money, and love = making money. The question that follows, “which is easier?” draws a clear picture of the author’s point. We often choose hate simply because it is the easiest route to making ourselves feel better. Or, as the author puts it, we use hate as an excuse for our inaction.

Especially given the length of the book and understanding that reading it requires little time commitment from the reader, I would recommend this book to all readers. I don’t recommend it so much because I think every reader will love it, or because I think they will go out and find everything the author has ever written and get their hands on it. I recommend it because I think we all need to read it… whether we like it or not.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like mmallory's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Izesicle
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

It is definitely a call to action which is to love Unconditionally. Feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”