Review by vviall -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
vviall
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vviall.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Review by vviall -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by vviall »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The full name of this book is Health Tips, Myths and Tricks: A Physician's Advice with the subtitle Health information to liberate us from "Snake Oil." Thought the book is written by a medical doctor, Mort E. Tavel, it is written in plain English, in an unbiased look at all sides of the topics and with a considerable dose of humor.

Dr. Tavel is a retired physician who specialized in internal medicane and cardiovascular diseases. That alone qualified him as an expert. It may surprise some to know how open he is to alternate forms of treatments such as chiropractic and holistic approaches.

In each chapter, of which there are many, he educates the readers on all the information available from verified studies and research, gives an informed opinion and yet leaves it up to readers to make their own choices.

Less one thinks this is just one more medical book, let's look at just a few samples:
  • Is breakfast really necessary?
    Is coffee good of bad for us?
    Chocatlate: good, bad or indifferent?
    What's the scoop on cranberries?
    Olive oil and health
    The real scoop on salt and salt substitutes
    Red meat: yes or no?
    There's arsenic in our food?
    Artificial sweeteners: are they good or bad?
    Cigarettes and e-cigarettes
    Back pain: over-treated?
While that list may sound like other medical books we have all read, be assured it is not. I did mention that Dr. Tavel has a very good sense of humor, didn't I?

Tavel does not just discuss the topics listed above, and more, he also tackles myths and offers tips on ways to achieve better health.

One would expects a medical book to be a book to put on a shelf and let it gather dust until we have need of it, correct? I guarantee this book will break that mold. It is designed to be read by topic, however, once it's picked up and begun, it is very difficult to put down.

Yes, he does address "snake oil" treatments and supplements and other fad cures, diets and medicine. Not once, however, does he berate or attack a treatment, a person or an organization. As mentioned above, he has researched all the data, weighed it and has now shared it.

This book was written in 2015 so, it is very up-to-date. That coupled with the fact that it is so easy to read, entertaining, informative, timely and sadly, on occasion, necessary, make this book a good idea and an excellent choice.

Another positive benefit of having the book on hand is that it will provide numerous ice breakers and topics with which to impress friends, family and co-workers. Become the neighborhood experct on all things medical including those myths and tips.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 and give it my highest recommendation. Yes, it is that good!

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves

Like vviall's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”