Official Review: Immediacy by Fred Emil Katz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Official Review: Immediacy by Fred Emil Katz

Post by Shelle »

Scerakor wrote:I think that this is an amazing and important topic for a book and it looks like the author did a great job presenting it. Having sampled the first few pages, I definitely see where you are coming from when you say that the content is quite deep. Not only is the book written at a high level intellectually, it hits on some extremely touchy/sensitive subjects. Thank you for the review.
Yes! I agree that the book dives deep. It's certainly not a weekend beach read, but it is important.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think the format of this book is interesting. I don't usually read essay collections, but I think in this instance the formatting may be a benefit since the material is difficult. I can understand why the material was difficult to get through, but the book definitely covers an important topic which I am always willing to learn more about. Thanks for the review!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Having read the sample, I agree that this is a tough read. I normally like books that address the human psyche but this one seems too technical for me. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Wonderful review. Exploring the psychology of cults and false messiahs and the Holocaust sounds pretty heavy. Thanks for writing this and congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

mindyg123 wrote:Wonderful review. Exploring the psychology of cults and false messiahs and the Holocaust sounds pretty heavy. Thanks for writing this and congrats on being BOTD.
Thank you!
I too am happy to see this as BOTD. I think it deserves a wide exposure and hopefully people will pick this up who might not have otherwise.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Zero
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Zero »

On one hand it's great that the book is well researched but on the other its sad that it has many errors. The topic is very sensitive and touchy(as already mentioned by many people above). Its scary but the reality, that humans have done some very cruel and unforgivable things. And this has affected everyone, every single organism living on this planet.
Thanks for the review.
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -Albert Einstein
WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WordHound »

Sounds interesting! I was glad for your explanation that this is a book of essays as that wasn't clear to me when I looked at the sample.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Greeshu1999
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Greeshu1999 »

i believe in the saying an author or a poet will always leave a part of his/her own self in their writings . so according to me maybe the writer here is a deep thinker and kind hearted wondering why some people behave in the most cruel way or why would someone like to kill or end others lives .and i can absolutely read these kinds because i believe that every book will teach us something which we can use in our future

-- 30 May 2017, 12:32 --
Last edited by Greeshu1999 on 30 May 2017, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

Not my cup of tea but the writing style and accuracy of this book is intriguing.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for your review. This may not be the book for me at this point in my life. However, it does sound like it would work well as a supplemental text for courses dealing with such, for example, Social and Moral Issues, or as you stated, Psychology. Congrats to the author for being chosen as #BOTD!
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

Sounds like an intense read. I hate that it has errors because in a book like this that just puts things off for me. Great job on the review!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

This book broaches a broad range of topics. Thanks for the review
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Not my kind of book to read but I am amazed at how humans can overcome such adversity and hatred and still be able to carry on. Granted, some people can't after a horrific event but overall people do have the temerity to continue and help others. Nice review.
Feloza
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Feloza »

The book started off at not a good note for me.
There is too much rambling, made me feel as though I had to have background knowledge of what is being illustrated. Lol. The word ,"immediacy"
Was so over used for me, that I got put off.
I did like though the view on Transcendence.
"Use of choices available to her"
Powerful indeed. I'm taking that into my life.
Yes , this book is definitely not for me, too much referencing to people I don't know..hahahah not that I should know them.
The Impingings, that really had me thinking, how pressure to conform is a real factor, how it impacts our individuality. Hmmmm.
He writes well, very intelligent writer.. :tiphat:
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Great Review. I do enjoy both sociology and psychology. The sample seemed heavy and short sampled. As the review said, written as essay sections. Although the material is something I enjoy, the style is not. I haven't decided yet whether or not I will read the book.

The cover throws me a little. Red and yellow are colors of of hunger, like McDonald's. The book doesn't seem to match the cover.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”