Official Review: Vocab-35 by R. Kent Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Vocab-35 by R. Kent Smith

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vocab-35" by R. Kent Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you find yourself not understanding words you come across while reading that bestselling novel? Have you ever been in the middle of a conversation and just can't think of the next right word? Do the meanings of "sitting duck", "flying pig" and "dark horse" escape you? R. Kent Smith's new workbook Vocab-35 may be the resource to help you. It is a collection of 35 10-word lists with sample sentences and exercises, designed to increase your mastery of the English language.

The book is divided into eight sections. The first seven are each composed of five of the word lists accompanied by review exercises. The last one contains appendices for parts of speech and word parts (prefixes, suffixes and roots), indices of words and idioms, and an answer key for the exercises. In each part readers will complete activities using matching, multiple choice questions, analogies and fill-in-the-blank sentences.

Don't expect this book to be based on rote memorization. There are no definitions included in Vocab-35. Mr. Smith relies on readers to use context clues to understand word meanings based on their use in sample sentences. Mr. Smith distinguishes between expressive vocabulary (what we are able to produce) and understanding vocabulary (what we comprehend). He stresses that this book can help readers expand both types.

Teachers may consider using this as a text book for writing, spelling, English, grammar and speech classes. It is not to be read cover to cover, but could be worked through in a little over a month if the user studied one list each day. Especially useful for test preparation are the analogy exercises, for example, "mild : gentle :: severe : rough". These analogies not only assist readers to better understand the words' meanings, but they provide practice for standardized tests like the SAT, ACT, and GRE. More casual users can find value in this text by perusing the lists and completing the exercises as desired.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The format is appealing, the editing is professional and the resources included are useful. Vocab-35 can be a valuable tool for those preparing for standardized tests, writers seeking to enlarge their working vocabulary, and general users wanting to stretch their minds. Perhaps after completing this workbook, you will understand more of that novel, and the right words will flow from you in every conversation. You won't say "extinct" when you mean to say "extant", and "fastidious" will not replace "felicitous". You'll be unstoppable.

Vocab-35
View: on Bookshelves

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Writing a review for this kind of book is hard but you did a really great job.
Congratulations to the author for getting such great review.?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Shuaib Alam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shuaib Alam »

Great work done by author which he had written this book
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This book seems like a very useful resource. I'll have to look this one up on Amazon to see if it's available in a hard copy format. Everyone in my family could benefit from this book. Thank you for a great review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

This book seems like my next best friend! I'm usually pretty good at understanding tricky words with ample context, but some just allude me. And it's so hard to review books like this that aren't narrative, but you've really sold me on this book's importance to teachers and students alike. I could very well see this book in high school English classes, and I think the benefits towards overall reading comprehension would be superb.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great book. I'm always looking for ways to increase my vocabulary. My english teacher in high school once used a really cool book that used stories to help you remember difficult words like "scintillate." It was great. This sounds kind of similar. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”