Official Review: Vacation To Graceland by Phillip Cornell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Re: Official Review: Vacation To Graceland by Phillip Cornel

Post by psychopathycathy »

I definitely feel like having a bit of a laugh and this looks like a really interesting read!
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

This is interested to read which talks about family issues. Thank you for this great review.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I have to admit that the incredibly long paragraphs in the sample put me off, and I'm surprised you didn't mention that in your review.
Yu-jay24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yu-jay24 »

Good review.
I already feel like the book will be a good read. I love comedy. I'm the direct opposite of an avid dystopian.
Also, great job on letting us know upfront that the synopsis is a scam. At least I won't go in expecting something I'll never get.
Elizabeth Wangui
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by Elizabeth Wangui »

Good review book. I love reading such a book. Congats on BOTD!
martha mokeira

Post by martha mokeira »

by Martha Mokeira
Its a good book. detailed and has some humour. It got a bit of suspense. i can buy it sometime on amazon because its a book for the whole family to read
olaiya oluwafemi
Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaiya-oluwafemi.html

Post by olaiya oluwafemi »

I enjoy this review. Awesome review! A well-written story. Thanks for the review!
Mboriinie Simon

Post by Mboriinie Simon »

Vacation To Graceland by Phillip Cornel book has given me a very nice smiles :D :lol:, It is very interesting and awesome and you out there just read it to make you happy.

-- 19 May 2017, 03:01 --

This book has made my day very great and you too can be like me
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I love this review on Vacation To Graceland by Phillip Cornell. The book looks stylish and you cannot go wrong reading a great Graceland book about good old Memphis.
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

Absolutely love the humour! Seems like a good read that will keep you entertained right to the last page. Well done to the author!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
BenFortune

Post by BenFortune »

Review: Vacation to Graceland by Philip Cornell
Authored by Philip Cornell, Vacation to Graceland is a first person narrative of a family that takes a road trip to Tennessee to Memphis from St. Louis. They aim to use the journey for a family reunion.
Reading through the book, I was awed by the way the subsequent incidents of the book blended well with one another. Written in first-person narration, the author reveals the internal challenges within the family that are major hindrances to his mother's intention of taking their grandmother on a trip. In a family of six, five of them appear to have varying shortcomings whenever a progressive subject is broached. Only Crissy, who is only available to the family during her rare visits, appears normal. The author's mother has sheer determination to ensure the success of the trip is encouraging despite the fact that the grandmother needs dialysis on a constant basis. Many more limitations arise in the form of the author's sister Crissy and her children. In short, the narrator very well brings out the complications that his family faces even as they are determined to please their ailing grandmother.
From the author's perspective, it was only fitting that he uses first person narration when narrating about the drama and challenges in his family. It helps the reader to immediately incline their mind to the various circumstances that the author introduces. The first person narration also brings into perspective a clearer connection to that of every family member as though they were part and parcel of the same. However, while it is well organized, my first impression of the writing was that the author is too wordy. As in all documents written in prose, wordiness makes them unnecessarily long. Wordiness also has a tendency to override the content of a reading, which in this case is quite phenomenal.
One other aspect concerns the humor and language. In the way, he wrote the book, the author introduces himself as a genuinely humorous character. One can easily read the book while targeting bits of laughter that essentially heighten its presentation. However, humor and plot appear to be the only positives as regards to themes. Even though many more themes are highlighted, they are greatly overridden by the two which causes quite an imbalance. The paragraphing of the book is well done since each represents a topic or incident that defines the next and transits appropriately from the previous. The lack of errors in grammar and spelling clearly indicates meticulous editing efforts, which in many ways boosts the book’s literal credentials.
On a scale of 4, I would genuinely rate this book at a disappointing 3. I feel I could have written a much better story had I been handed the plot and the characters. However, I highly appreciate the author’s efforts to make me laugh, which greatly contributes to the 3 points. In essence, the book can play a good role in reflections of family sagas for people with similar experiences. On the concept of wordiness, it needs further refining.
Golden Daffodill1826
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Golden Daffodill1826 »

I read the sample and I think I can relate to it lol. It recalls a lot of memories from my childhood too, so i definitely like to read it :)
TedDekkerFan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Black</a>
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by TedDekkerFan »

I am happy for the new author's accomplishment and good review. The book sample makes it seem to me that this book just isn't my cup of tea. There is too much redundancy and mundaneness. I wish I felt differently, but I still wish the author the very best and much success!
Renata Mlodecki
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Renata Mlodecki »

Caitelynch;

I dont really think there are rules in writing. James JOyce had a sentence streaming for three pages. Biloxi coined the phrase "dont try". He was referring to the difference of writing and following literary rules. Its always a wroters style and content.

-- 19 May 2017, 05:15 --

Caitelynch;

I dont really think there are rules in writing. James Joyce had a sentence streaming for three pages. Bukowski coined...
writers...
posted before I proofed.
.T-Mobile

CaitlynLynch wrote:I have to admit that the incredibly long paragraphs in the sample put me off, and I'm surprised you didn't mention that in your review.
coined the phrase "dont try". He was referring to the difference of writing and following literary rules. Its always a writers style and content.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”