Official Review: The Secrets in My Eyes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Secrets in My Eyes

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secrets in My Eyes" by Harry James Hamilton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secrets in My Eyes is a poignant memoir of the author, Harry James Hamilton.

Harry is adopted by a loving family. Happy and secured, he is proud of his family’s lineage until the truth about his adoption is disclosed as a consequence of a mindless outburst from his grandfather. Ignorant of his bloodline and doubtful of his adoptive father’s love, Harry starts to be plagued by insecurity and self-doubt. He resorts to rebellious behavior and seeks refuge in food which results to extreme obesity. These cause a rift in his relationship with his adoptive father.

As he grows older, he suffers prejudice primarily because of his size. He is bullied, laughed at, harassed and sexually abused. He is barraged with embarrassments, humiliations and failures. He deems himself a loser who does not know himself and where he is from. So, he starts to look for his biological family in order to understand himself.

The book began with a prologue on which the author expressed his thoughts about his being adopted: the shame, the pain, the confusion, the emptiness of not knowing where he came from, the traits he inherited from his biological parents and the answer to the ultimate question of why he was given away for adoption. The subsequent chapters were a chronological recount from his birth to adulthood which included backstories of both his birth and adoptive parents.

The ample backstories helped the readers understand and appreciate Harry’s predicament especially his insecurity because of his inability to accomplish anything and his shame for being a failure in the midst of a proud family. The book portrayed a child’s silent plea for help to find himself and a mother’s unconditional and perpetual love for his son, born to her or not. It showed that family did not necessarily mean the people related to you by blood, but those who loved you and stood by you no matter what.

This story depicted the unwavering love of the parents for their child and that when everything else failed and everyone else let him down, his parents will be there to catch him and set things right for him as best they could.

Moreover, the book shared valuable information about obesity and weight management program. It also gave brief descriptions of various procedures of bariatric surgery and imparted sound advice on health in general.

This is a moving, touching, inspiring and informative book not just about an adopted boy but about sexual, emotional and psychological abuse, prejudice, obesity and unconditional love. It is written in a casual tone making it easy to read and with vivid descriptions of events making it, at some points, funny, thus entertaining.

However, I found several irrelevant details that, I believe, only made the book longer than it should be which might discourage readers who prefer shorter reads. I also noticed minor errors which are thankfully very few.

I, therefore, give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to readers who appreciate memoirs and books about health.

The Secrets in My Eyes
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I have been debating whether to read and review this book and now I wish I would have. You wrote such a great and insightful review. I will be adding this to my list. :)
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kdonegan91 wrote:I have been debating whether to read and review this book and now I wish I would have. You wrote such a great and insightful review. I will be adding this to my list. :)
Thank you very much. I enjoyed it a lot :)
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: "Sword of Dragonblood" by L. S. Goulet

Post by Insomniac07 »

The book cover looks so beautiful, and from your review, it sounds very interesting as well. I'll be adding this one to my never ending TBR list too.
Latest Review: "Sword of Dragonblood" by L. S. Goulet
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Insomniac07 wrote:The book cover looks so beautiful, and from your review, it sounds very interesting as well. I'll be adding this one to my never ending TBR list too.
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read it :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Strangled Eggs and Ham
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The story sounds so moving, although I always find it difficult to read about abuse.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! The story sounds so moving, although I always find it difficult to read about abuse.
It is moving, informative and actually entertaining :)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: The Vanishing Half
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Where's Hare's Tooth? by Lois Solverud
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0
2023 Reading Goal: 25
2023 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I really enjoyed reading your review, kimmyschemy06! This sounds like a very insightful and moving story. The abuse may be a bit much for me, but I appreciate the author in feeling comfortable enough to share his story. Congratulations to Harry James Hamilton for receiving such a positive review. :)
Heidi
Global Moderator

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:I really enjoyed reading your review, kimmyschemy06! This sounds like a very insightful and moving story. The abuse may be a bit much for me, but I appreciate the author in feeling comfortable enough to share his story. Congratulations to Harry James Hamilton for receiving such a positive review. :)
Thank you. It is a very enjoyable and informative book :)
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

It was very brave of the author to share such a personal story. I hope he has managed to work through his insecurities and become comfortable with himself. Great job on the review :)
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kia wrote:It was very brave of the author to share such a personal story. I hope he has managed to work through his insecurities and become comfortable with himself. Great job on the review :)
Thank you very much. He also shared invaluable tips and advice on obesity and health :)
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

This book sounds like an inspiring and touching bok. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I was expecting something different when I opened up the review. It sounds like a story that needed to be told. I'm not sure I'll read it though, some of the subjects are just really hard to deal with at times.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Insightsintobooks wrote:This book sounds like an inspiring and touching bok. Thank you for the review.
You're welcome. It is a really touching and inspiring book :)

-- 19 Jan 2017, 03:51 --
CatInTheHat wrote:I was expecting something different when I opened up the review. It sounds like a story that needed to be told. I'm not sure I'll read it though, some of the subjects are just really hard to deal with at times.
Yes, some of the subjects may make some readers feel uncomfortable. Thank you for the comment :)
anushreevaishnav18
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Regifted
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by anushreevaishnav18 »

Sounds good . Great review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”