Review of Travel Therapy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Last Green Valley
Bookshelf Size: 331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Thirteen Months of Pregnancy by Bill M Atalla
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Travel Therapy

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Travel Therapy" by Stuart Katz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Four books for the price of one could be the advertisement for Stuart Katz's book Travel Therapy: Around the World in Search of Happiness. The book is one part Jewish history, one part travel memoir, one part humanitarian guideline, and one part mental health journey. Katz's honest writing style makes for an entertaining and educational experience.

The book begins with a long list of testimonials from mental health professionals and Jewish leaders. Then there is a dedication to his wife and then a foreword from Kevin Hines who explains the author's purpose for writing the book. Because I like to jump right into the meat of the book, all these pages felt excessive.

My favorite part was the section of passages written by Katz's four children as they described what growing up with a father in the travel industry was like. Their reflections on the family trips were endearing and showcased the family's close bonds.

Katz's wanderlust as a volunteer nomad opened my eyes to the plights of refugees that I hadn't considered before. His trip to Greece in 2015 was especially relevant. In Chapter 14, the author provides some valuable tips to individuals who are interested in volunteering during the aftermath of a disaster.

Chapter 10 is timely as it discusses the author's involvement as a volunteer during the 2012 Hamas attack on Israel. Obviously, this book was written before the current war, but I searched Katz's Facebook page and found details about how he is again involved with relief efforts for Israel. It was interesting to compare the two situations.

My rating is five out of five stars. I found no reason for any deductions. I enjoyed learning how the author has used his travel experiences to promote his own mental health journey and how he has been instrumental in getting better mental health care for Israeli citizens. I recommend all parts of this book (history, humanitarian, travel, and therapy) to anyone interested in learning more about how to find happiness.

Travel Therapy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Kirui Collins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Kirui Collins »

It must be exciting to have a parent in the travel industry. This is a must read. Thanks for the review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Last Green Valley
Bookshelf Size: 331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Thirteen Months of Pregnancy by Bill M Atalla
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Kirui Collins wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 05:38 It must be exciting to have a parent in the travel industry. This is a must read. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for leaving a comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”