Official Review: Paris Linked Up For Beginners

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
CataclysmicKnight
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 666
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: daily use of the living water with guidance from the holy bible by Bernice Williams

Official Review: Paris Linked Up For Beginners

Post by CataclysmicKnight » 07 Nov 2016, 21:43

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paris Linked Up For Beginners" by Colleen Katz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With so many movies and television shows revealing the beauty of Paris I've always been curious to visit. Visiting a foreign country is scary, though, especially when English isn't the official language! I was amazed at how much less scary it seemed when I started reading Paris Linked Up For Beginners by Colleen Katz - she really breaks down not only the best places to eat and visit but also gives great tips on nearly everything. Colleen originally wrote the book for coworkers, but with over 50 Paris visits under her belt she decided to expand upon it and make it for everyone.

The book begins with how to prepare for a trip to Paris, including hotel and restaurant reservations, app and website suggestions (along with tips for even those who aren't so tech savvy), some vital French phrases and when to use them and tips for how to act, such as greeting everyone using either Madame or Monsieur and beginning every encounter with at least basic French before just diving into English. Colleen also has a chapter on what times of year are good and bad, along with some major events and holidays.

From here, the book delves into detailed listings of restaurants, hotels, museums, places to shop and more. Each listing, where applicable, lists the name, a solid description of it, which arrondissement (an area, essentially, of Paris. They're numbered) it's located in, a phone number, address and which public transportation can get you there.

The book then closes with additional tips. This includes things like numerous pickpocketing methods and scams to avoid (applicable with traveling anywhere), details on how to use phones in Paris (and how folks can call you from the US while you're there), how to use Parisian public transportation and which pass is best for you, a comparison of the Paris Pass vs the Museum Pass and a list of things for kids (like a website that shows all the places Madeline, of the Madeline books, visited!). Perhaps my favorite little addition, personally, is the list of free things to do (including the days when museums are free) - when we visited Chicago we planned largely around the free museum days and it saved us a bunch of money!

Colleen's experience as a visitor to Paris really shines throughout the whole book. There are such incredible details throughout, like which directions to take once arriving at some of the museums and galleries to see the best things, or directions from one location to another nearby that makes a great combination. There's also a great "two day whirlwind tour" in the last chapter that explores a great deal of Paris in great detail, even going as far as to set the times of each stop.

The writing is top notch for a tourism guide; over the 150ish pages I read I only counted 4 errors. There's also some sneaky humor and some great facts along with the information, and it's incredible just how many topics are covered. I must note, however, that I reviewed an HTML file version of this book so the page count is based on the Amazon page and the images that are in the book didn't load for me.

Overall, I'd say this is an absolute necessity for anyone considering visiting Paris. The fact that it's also an ebook means it's one less thing to have to pack and it's far more easily accessible anytime from your phone. The way it utilizes website links everywhere it can means the book is also as up to date as possible despite being originally published in 2014, and getting additional information or checking prices, hours or directions is just a click away. It's easy to rate this one 4 out of 4 stars!

Paris Linked Up For Beginners
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate » 21 Mar 2019, 02:32

I might as well keep this book close for my visit to Paris. It seems to hold valuable tips. Thanks for an informative review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Mar 2019, 08:10

I studied French in high school and college, so Paris has always been on my list of places to visit. It sounds like this is a great guide to it, but I don't know if I'll ever really get the chance to go. It still might be interesting to read, though. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal » 21 Mar 2019, 12:24

It sounds like Colleen has thought of all of the important information to include in a travel guide for Paris. I like that she has included personal experiences in her book. While a travel guide would not typically be on my list of must-reads, this one is. I do not have a trip planned to Paris, but my mother was born in Nice and I am interested in learning more about France in general. Thanks for the recommendation!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Nyambura Githui » 24 Mar 2019, 14:49

I agree that traveling to a foreign country does sound scary, especially with no friends or family in it. The book sounds like a great guide. Great review.

Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Juliana_Isabella » 31 Mar 2019, 10:29

This sounds like a must-have for anyone visiting Paris. French culture is so intricate that Americans really need to study before they visit.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”