Official Review: The Battered Wife and Her Five Little Ki...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Battered Wife and Her Five Little Ki...

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Battered Wife and Her Five Little Kids All Dressed in White" by George Garrigues.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Battered Wife and Her Five Little Kids All Dressed in White by George Garrigues is the 3rd installment in the non-fiction Read All About It series. It is the true story of an affluent Caldwell, New Jersey woman who shot and killed her abusive husband in 1916. Was it murder or self-defense? Two young girls found their father Christof Beutinger’s body in the bedroom, with their mother holding a gun. His wife Margaret Claire Beutinger admitted shooting her husband five times, but claimed it was self-defense. She is arrested on charges of first-degree murder, with the possibility of the death penalty if convicted.

Margaret told the police about incidents of abuse during her marriage and the night of the killing. There are also statements by others who witnessed Christof’s behavior over time and policemen who had previously been called to the home for domestic disturbances.

After a quick recap of the children finding their father’s body and their mother in the room, there are flashbacks to background information about the U.S in 1898, Jamaica and the Philippines, and Christof’s War Department career. The storyline is a little dizzying to follow in the beginning, as it jumps from current incidents to long descriptions of the early parts of the couple’s troubled marriage - where they met, lived, and how Christof made money over the years. Once the trial starts, the pace picks up and I became more absorbed in the plot.

The events unfold through actual articles from various newspapers. This method lends authenticity to the story along with the inclusion of numerous photographs. The author also adds information in italics throughout the book for extra clarity and insight. The accounts of the trial are vividly written and I felt like I was watching a movie at times. I was amazed that these scenes were so well described, since the articles were written by journalists from different newspapers.

Some of the background information bogs down the story at times – for example, the names of all of the jurors and their respective occupations as well as six pages in the middle of the book about the town of Caldwell. There is also some repetition, as the details of the shooting are described numerous times throughout the book.

This book has earned a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The subject matter is interesting, but the plot doesn’t move forward smoothly. I found the first third of the book slow-paced with long-winded, extraneous details – the various places and homes they lived in, jobs Christof had, and a chapter about the funeral. Although one newspaper article might be interesting by itself, a series of them by different reporters doesn’t always flow well as a cohesive story. Still, I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy true crime stories and media accounts of trials.

The Battered Wife and Her Five Little Kids All Dressed in White
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review as always. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the story after the rocky start. The method of writing sure sounds unique.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I also read the first two books in this series and have to admit I liked the other books more. It may just be that I found the other real-life cases more interesting, even though this one was also good.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed the book overall. Thank you for the review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

AA1495 wrote:Glad you enjoyed the book overall. Thank you for the review!
Thanks AA1495! Using the newspaper articles to tell the story is certainly unique.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Thanks for this review. I often enjoy non fiction books like this one. Too bad about the non essential extras like the long description of the town. It sounds like it had the potential to be great with a few details detracting from that.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Elaine5 wrote:Thanks for this review. I often enjoy non fiction books like this one. Too bad about the non essential extras like the long description of the town. It sounds like it had the potential to be great with a few details detracting from that.
Thanks for the feedback. I still found the book interesting, especially since I like reading about true crimes.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

bookowlie wrote:
AA1495 wrote:Glad you enjoyed the book overall. Thank you for the review!
Thanks AA1495! Using the newspaper articles to tell the story is certainly unique.
True. Personally, I don't think I would enjoy that. I prefer proper narrative books! Again, this is a very well written review! ☺
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks AA1495. I also prefer traditional books, but it was still an interesting way to tell a true crime story. It reminded me of following criminal trials on the TV news and in the newspapers.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

This review is fantastic and well written. I am glad the book got better over time. I normally like books like this but don't know if I could handle all the extra details. A book must smoothly progress and not get boring.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kdonegan for the nice feedback. I usually like extra details in a true crime book. In this case, some of the overly detailed parts seemed to stuck in the story at old points, and interrupted the flow.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy true crime; however, I'm not sure I would enjoy this. I think the inclusion of all the minute details (like the names and occupations of all the jurors) would bore me. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:I do enjoy true crime; however, I'm not sure I would enjoy this. I think the inclusion of all the minute details (like the names and occupations of all the jurors) would bore me. Thanks for the review, though.

I was thinking the same thing as I read the review. I don't need to know that type of info on jurors. If they have background that relates to the situation, that can be interesting but not names, dates, etc.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks CatintheHat and Kandscreeley for the feedback. I agree the juror info was too detailed. However, some readers might enjoy the extra info. In many trials, the demographics of the jury can make all the difference in a guilty vs. not-guilty verdict. I always wondered how the OJ Simpson trial would have turned out with a different jury.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”