Official Review: Meditation- Basics by Dr.Ilango Sivaraman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Official Review: Meditation- Basics by Dr.Ilango Sivaraman

Post by Rachel1019 » 01 Oct 2016, 09:49

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Meditation- Basics" by Dr.Ilango Sivaraman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Meditation – Basics: Understanding, Experiencing and Enjoying Meditation is a non-fiction book written by Dr. Ilango Sivaraman. This book is about the journey of the author through his experience with meditation. He delves into the reasons why he started doing meditation and his struggles with making a habit of meditation. Dr. Sivaraman explains to the reader what different forms of meditation are and how he had been instructed to perform these types of meditation. The range of types of meditation techniques range from prayer and yoga to transcendental and heartfulness meditation.

Along with discussing specific types of meditation, Dr. Sivaraman also discusses how meditation on a more general level is supposed to work. He does this through explaining chakras and koshas. As many people know, these are metaphorical places on the body where we have centers of energy. This book not only lays out the ideas, but also gives evidence for meditation in the form of scientific studies that have been conducted about the benefits and reaction of meditations. Many studies are highlighted and even linked in this book for easy access for the readers to learn more about it.

Dr. Sivaraman starts to wrap up his book by bringing out the idea of mindfulness. He wants to ensure that his readers understand the differences and similarities between mindfulness and meditation. In the last chapter of the book, there is a step-by-step instructional guide of how to begin the practice of meditation.

I enjoyed reading this book. I liked how instead of being a simple instruction manual on one type of meditation, it branched out and explained several different kinds of meditation techniques. I thought it brought a good element to the book that the author told his personal experience with meditation. That allowed me to see a steady progression in the author as he was learning more about the discipline. I also liked that the author found resources and added these inside the book. If you are interested in a specific study mentioned in the book, then you just have to click on the link and you can read more about it.

There wasn’t much that I would want to change about this book. I thought that for the type of book it is, the length is great. It is such an easy read, and makes the practice of meditation seem more manageable. There were some spelling and grammatical errors (such as “[t]his process is same”), but not enough to make it a huge issue.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I do not give it the full 4 stars, because while the book itself I thought was wonderful, it still needs to be fully edited. Besides that, I thought it was a great book. Anyone who wants to learn the basics of meditation and who might want to try a couple different techniques would learn a lot from this book.
“Meditation together with mindfulness if practiced over a life long period – Is a guarantee for positive spiritual transformation in one’s life – free of the daily stress, strains, and the twists and turns of life will have the least impact – making this life’s journey a worthwhile and harmonious one.”
Meditation- Basics
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachel1019's review? Post a comment saying so!

AA1495
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: I Don't Belong Here by Melissa Grunow

Post by AA1495 » 10 Oct 2016, 19:03

Wish it was edited better. Thank you for the great review!

lane_vespertine
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine » 12 Oct 2016, 02:22

Interesting.
Out of curiosity, did you meditate prior to reading this?
If not, then are you going to?
Good review!

Rachel1019

Post by Rachel1019 » 12 Oct 2016, 07:09

I tried meditation a couple times but never could focus very well. After each new meditation technique was introduced, I tried it out. My favorite was the heartfulness meditation.

Lauren M
2017 Reading Goal: 52
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M » 12 Oct 2016, 07:20

Great review! I've started to read more non-fiction books and I am really enjoying them. While I am not big on meditation, this book still sounds like a good read since it does more than just lay out the steps. I may give it a try. Good job!
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

lane_vespertine
2017 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html

Post by lane_vespertine » 16 Oct 2016, 17:02

Rachel1019 wrote:I tried meditation a couple times but never could focus very well. After each new meditation technique was introduced, I tried it out. My favorite was the heartfulness meditation.
What is the heartfulness one all about?
Still sticking with meditation?

Rachel1019

Post by Rachel1019 » 17 Oct 2016, 08:43

lane_vespertine wrote:
Rachel1019 wrote:I tried meditation a couple times but never could focus very well. After each new meditation technique was introduced, I tried it out. My favorite was the heartfulness meditation.
What is the heartfulness one all about?
Still sticking with meditation?
Instead of focusing on certain words, the meditator focuses on their heart. Dr. Sivaraman could sit and focus for an hour every day on nothing but the energy in his heart. I have continued to meditate, but in much smaller increments, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Insightsintobooks
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks » 15 Jan 2017, 19:03

I think this sounds like a good introduction to meditation. It would be interesting to read how the author advances in the practice. I think I will add this to my TBR. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Wendy_marie
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Wendy_marie » 18 Dec 2017, 07:29

This sounds like a great book to read. I have been looking for a beginner guide to meditation. This may be just what I have been looking for. Thanks for your input.

Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 » 18 Dec 2017, 15:00

I love books on meditation. The cover on this is beautiful. I'm going to add it to my TBR.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”