Non-Fiction Book Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wizzy56
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizzy56.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Non-Fiction Book Recommendations

Post by Wizzy56 »

Gear Up, Shut Up by Dave Moore. Dave discusses ways to be a leader and relates to many of his pilot stories as examples and takeaways for inspiration.
AudaciousTori
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audacioustori.html

Post by AudaciousTori »

Finding me by Michelle Knight details her stay with the Cleveland Kipdnapper which lasted over 10 years, its very sad but also very moving
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Just finished Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin and I am currently reading John Adams (the Pulitzer Prize winner) by David McCullough. I can confidently recommend both books highly.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Missy5moody
Currently Reading: Wayward
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Missy5moody »

Glass Castle was a good one :)
tbngo28
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbngo28.html

Post by tbngo28 »

Blink was a good book, Malcom Gladwell is a good author; his other book "outliers" is also a good read if you get a chance to read.
ph1phin3
Currently Reading: The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ph1phin3.html

Post by ph1phin3 »

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. I'd say this is a must-read for anyone who cares whether the mechanism by which they think, process information, and synthesize conclusions is valid or not. A great resource to improve the way we think.
Disilluded
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disilluded.html

Post by Disilluded »

Titian by Ron Chernow is great. It's about Rockefeller Sr. and it uses a lot of stories and background from the man himself. I'd have to say it is the most honest biography I've read about anyone in a long time.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I would recommend Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. It's about an Olympian who gets drafted for WWII and gets captured by the Japanese.

It's an amazing read and I highly recommend it!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
A_Choyka
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-choyka.html

Post by A_Choyka »

Blackout: Remembering the Things That I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola was a book that would have you laughing one minute all while feeling complete empathy for what she's been through. Sarah walks you through her life from middle school all the way through her adulthood. She struggled w her emotions, her confidence, her path in life, only to turn to the bottle for strength. The book grips your attention right from the start up until the last page. She's more honest than most could ever be with themselves, only she's being this open with the readers. She's a true inspiration!
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently finished reading Shot Down by Steve Snyder. I highly recommend this book for those who like to read about the heroes of WWII. Below there is a link to my review of the book, feel free to read it :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amose13
Currently Reading: Dragonfly in Amber
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amose13.html
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King

Post by Amose13 »

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry -This is one of those books that has stuck with me over the years. It is a true crime non-fiction on the Manson Family murders. Bugliosi was one of the LA county DA's and has interesting insight. If you are interested in true crime, I recommend this one!
Portrait of a Killer by Patricia Cornwell - This is another Jack the Ripper book, but it's a bit different. Cornwell is known best for her Kay Scarpetta novels, so this book reads like a novel. It is well written and very interesting. A slightly different take on this old serial killer case.
Latest Review: "Jungle Paradise" by A N King
Destiny2016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-destiny2016.html

Post by Destiny2016 »

I recommend Heaven is for real. I personally believe this story and I read it way before a movie was ever made. It will make you think and it will make you go oh wow.

-- 16 Nov 2015, 19:02 --

The Shack is another great book that is supposed to be true. Both had great impact on my thinking.
Vidya_S
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidya-s.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vidya_S »

Well the words below are just my opinion and I don't want to churn any sentiments here.

I feel the book was a bit ahead in her lifetime and the memoir does not make a compelling read.
Many loose ends like what happened to the other two who were shot in the same incident as Malala. How have they been taken care of in their home country while only Malala got airlifted and then totally relocated to UK with her family joining her, thereafter.

Is only spreading awareness while sitting in a safe place worth all that fame! What are some of the daily struggles still ongoing in her home country and how is she supporting that, if she is living a totally different and comfortable life elsewhere?

Would "Moniba" her close friend who excelled her sometimes, would have been equally successful, if she had a father like Malala's? And the answer to that may be affirmative as her father has been her support and the initiator in getting Malala the 'spotlight' all the time. Which makes me feel this book should have been titled as "I am Malala's father".

The writing feels like very high school language conversation at times and sometimes even the
normal events seem exaggerated. I think the book is too overrated for what it delivers.
Crystal Bechler
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystal-bechler.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crystal Bechler »

I had this sense as I read "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey, that he really understood people and their inner selves. He is able to take personal social issues and make them manageable. We would all be able to better serve others and ourselves by reading this book.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
bookworm1990
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm1990.html
Latest Review: "My Passage to Africa" by Brian C Rushton

Post by bookworm1990 »

Sybil Exposed was a facinating book. Many people are familiar with the story of Sybil, the woman with 16 unique identities. Her case is the poster child for Multiple Personality Disorder which is studied in almost every basic psychology class. However, author Debbie Nathan reveals through careful research into first hand documents such as diaries, letters and journals that Shirley, aka Sybil, along with her psychiatrist Dr. Connie Wilbur manufactured the disorder then cashed in on the novelty of Shirley's case. I found it hard to stop reading this amazing book. Nathan weaves the story of Shirley's life together with those of Dr. Wilbur and that of the journalist who would pen the book Sybil, Flora Schrieber. I give this book a 5 out of 5 and have recommended it to everyone.
Latest Review: "My Passage to Africa" by Brian C Rushton

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”