Non-Fiction Book Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: Five People You Meet In Heaven

Post by tarafarah7 »

I 100% agree!! It was this book that introduced me to Mitch Albom! I live everything he has written. He is awesome!!
nycsunshine wrote:A good friend of mine loved Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom, so I decided to read it the other day and I fell in love as well. This book is about a man named Eddie who dies and encounters five people he knew in his lifetime before he is sent off to heaven. He learns things about these people, people who he thought were insignificant to him, but turned out to have a greater impact on his life than he could ever imagine. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to read a short, quick read, that's sentimental and inspirational.

Other Mitch Albom books I would recommend are: For One More Day, and Tuesdays With Morrie. He also has a new book coming out in some time September this year, Have A Little Faith, about a rabbi and pastor and their devotion to their faith. He gives a preview of this book in this YouTube video I came across the other day, which truly moved me, and I hope you will be able to enjoy it as well. You can find it on Mitch Albom's official YouTube page.

Another book I would recommend if you enjoy Mitch Albom, would be Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. I hope this review helped!
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I recommend Boys in Trees by Carly Simon. I love non fiction and this one was a great one. Carly Simon takes you personally through the ups and downs of her life through childhood and adulthood. Truly a great book.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
RachelCanter
Currently Reading: Race and Culture
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelcanter.html

Post by RachelCanter »

If you are interested in learning more about United States History, I recommend Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis. It is not an easy read; it can be rather dry at times, and it's intellectually challenging. However, the history that he provides is quite valuable. He focuses on the characters of the founders, their ideologies, and the way those elements interacted during and after the revolution. Additionally, his chapter on the founders and slavery is very worth the read. It's a nuanced analysis of the attitude towards slavery at the time, and the decision not to abolish slavery at the time.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I recommend the book Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. She also wrote Seabiscuit. I like war stories and had that book read in no time.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading-bear
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-bear.html

Post by Reading-bear »

As an aspiring writer, but first and foremost, lifetime avid reader, I like to know what has worked, or hasn't for other writers! I found Nora Ephron's biography by her long-time friend,very interesting! :techie-studyingbrown:
MegtheUnicorn

Post by MegtheUnicorn »

I recommend The Secret Garden Dawn to Dusk in the Astonishing Hidden World of the Garden, by David Bodanis. If you are a gardener, or just someone who enjoys the natural world around you, this book is a gem!
re_aguilar
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-re-aguilar.html

Post by re_aguilar »

The Art Stealers by Milton Esterow is a great book for any non-fiction reader. This book is a collection of stories from famous and some very notable art thefts. This book not only informed me of past art thefts but also art thefts that are still open, such as the art thefts at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum where a team stole over $500 million worth in art pieces. There was an article about this theft in the news just this past week about a possible lead and the only reason I already knew about this was because of Esterow's book.
Great and informative read!
PinkMonkeyBird
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by PinkMonkeyBird »

Something sci-fi and artsy?
Mentorizet

Post by Mentorizet »

Trump, the Art of Deal Making.
His autobiography.
Emmanuel Cassimatis
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Emmanuel Cassimatis »

I recommend "Resilience", by Andrew Zolli, Ann M. Healy.
For many of us it represents just a fascinating word but it is now a matter of general interest in several life spheres as ecology, political science, psychology, and it is the ability to withstand impact. At a time of economic crisis and market uncertainty the world of business is looking at it with growing interest.
Whatever you think, the question certainly implies more than a reflection and a lot of questions. Why does a person or a system react to shocks better than others? According to the authors, it depends from what has been '' resilient ''. Many of the examples discussed in the book explain what the negative or positive result depends from adopting or not this strategy: the US banks crisis of 2008, 4636 Mission born to respond to the humanitarian emergency in Haiti in 2010, are just an example of what authors quote.
The book does not give a recipe to become more resilient but it tries to explain which are the factors at the base of this capacity on more levels.
I think reflections it pushare really have a present value.
Lovebookpeace

Post by Lovebookpeace »

I highly recommend The Sympathizer. It is a great book and an interesting perspective. It is fiction but the idea of it very non-fiction like.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Scott, I have successfully downloaded the book followed my Star,and want to review this book instead of any other book.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I highly recommend "Make Peace With Your Harshest Critic - You! How to Break the Habit of Destructive Self-Talk" by Grahame Cossum. I think the title is fairly self-explanatory. It is full of so many simple but EFFECTIVE tips.

I don't recommend "The Secret" or anything about the so-called Law of Attraction. Yes, vision and focus can play a role in helping you to get what you want, but you have to work for it - visualizing won't work on its own. Set goals and work towards them - that's it. Save your money and your time for better things than books like that.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Followed my star by annahita is an average book. It starts with catchy ideas but as you move on incoherent ideas grip you.The Book touches many issues social, political, economic in light mood .But author's ambiguous thoughts and repetition of ideas makes one get bores. it's good for light mood people and renders bad image on thought provoking people.
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Zupanatural »

It's a long time since I read it but it still sticks in my mind as one of the best travel writing books I've ever read: "An Unexpected Light" by Jason Eliot, about his travels through Afghanistan in the 90s.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”