Non-Fiction Book Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rdifab72
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Non-Fiction Book Recommendations

Post by rdifab72 »

I would highly recommend The Walk series by Richard Paul Evans. A man's journey within comes from a walk he embarks upon after a series of tragedies in his life. Any reader will wait with concern and hope that he finds peace at the end of his adventure.
brenniewinters
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by brenniewinters »

Raising Chickens and Rabbits Mike Webb

-- 12 Feb 2016, 21:58 --

I know the author and he did raise them and did a good job.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I would recommend Running from the Mirror: A Memoir by Howard Shulman (see link for full review below). It is about how an infant born with a staph infection that ate away half his face and the pain he endures ever since his parents left him at the hospital. Howard's life has been a roller coaster of emotions since.

I gave it a 4/4 stars rating! Check it out! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
CLRogers90
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clrogers90.html
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar

Post by CLRogers90 »

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes: An Other Tales From The Crematorium by Caitlyn Doughty.

Doughty dicusses her time as a crematory operator in a witty, dark, and comical way and addresses The USA's issues with death.

It genuinely changed my life.
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar
readinreed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinreed.html
Latest Review: "WICK" by Matt Doyle

Post by readinreed »

As a scientist I tend to gravitate to non-fiction books that recount historical scientific events. For instance I really liked Simon Winchester's Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded about the eruption of the volcano in 1883 and The Map that Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology. I think my favorite though, is White Waters and Black by Gordon MacCreagh about a 1923 scientific expedition along the Amazon River. Every time I think about that book I always have to shake my head at the hubris displayed by the researchers.

As a travel lover I am fascinated by books that delve into a specific place such as Thor Heyerdahl's Easter Island or Parting the Desert: The Creation of the Suez Canal by Zachary Karabell.
Latest Review: "WICK" by Matt Doyle
booklover1
Currently Reading: Sole Guidance
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1.html
Reading Device: B0054OWZVY

Post by booklover1 »

I loved this book as it took me into a world I knew little about. For anyone who likes non-fiction books and likes history, learning about different cultures-this is the book for you!
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently finished I am Enough by Cheryl Miguel. A memoir about someone who has been through a tremendous amount of sadness and struggles, but through the use of spiritual guidance and self-help books, she manages to turn her life around. *See review link below for my full review*
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
RochelleCiska

Post by RochelleCiska »

We are Anonymous. Very interesting read.
KellBellFamFootnote
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by KellBellFamFootnote »

"My Accidental Jihad' by Krista Bremer was an interesting read. The author chronicles following in love and marrying a Muslim. Her spouse is originally from Libya, but they meet and live in the United States. I liked being privy to this type of domestic situation from the very start of the relationship (dating) through having children. I also thought this was a very relevant read for today's society. Love is complicated and hard, and no marriage is perfect. It was interesting to see the author acknowledge that she never saw herself marrying into this type of situation, but was still able to find comfort, a home, and a purpose.
JRThompson95
Currently Reading: The Stand

Post by JRThompson95 »

Unbroken by Hillenbrand is phenomenal.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

JRThompson95 wrote:Unbroken by Hillenbrand is phenomenal.
Laura Hillenbrand is an outstanding writer who unfortunately suffers from the disease Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but this did not stop her from making her mark in literary circles.

If you haven't already read it I would suggest reading her first book, Seabiscuit. This novel was later made into a movie which was nominated for seven Academy Awards.

Watch this amazing documentary featuring Hillenbrand and the story of Seabiscuit. It's not that long but powerfully, powerfully moving. If this were fiction no one would accept it, they'd say it was "too corny" .... but it was real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jR6oRHtR7U

Thank you Laura Hillenbrand.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
poetrythanki
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrythanki.html
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens

Post by poetrythanki »

I love reading Self-Help books. I always carry at least one with me everywhere I go. My top favorites are:

The Secret series by Rhonda Byrne
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life by Brian Tracy
You Can Heal Your Life by Louise L. Hay
Success With Positive Mental Attitude by W. Clement Stone
Ask and It Is Given by Abraham Hicks
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens
magsinator

Post by magsinator »

I recently finished Grunt by Mary Roach, and it was really interesting. I like Roach's style, because she takes a topic you might not think much about - in this case the science of the military - and explores it through well-annotated interviews, hilarious anecdotes, and lots of interesting trivia. It's like a fascinating, rambling conversation you didn't know you wanted to be a part of. In this case, she takes a really interesting look at uniform design, how they design the armor on armored vehicles, and genital reconstructive surgery, among other topics. I would also recommend her other books, especially Stiff.
Bonnie Wilde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-wilde.html

Post by Bonnie Wilde »

I Know Why the Caged Birds Sing by Maya Angelou
I like to experiment with many genres so I decided to read I know Why the Caged Birds Sing. This was my first autobiography, mainly because I focus more on fiction books. I have to say, I love this book because of how Angelou writes it. It does not read like a autobiography, but rather like a fiction novel. I felt that it was a little slow paced, but it made it more personal and heartwarming. She made the little things in life beautiful. It was amazing how the reader can watch her develop as a person from all her struggles, and I must say, there were plenty. At times, I would tear up and at other times I would burst out laughing. I read this book twice and do not want to reveal and parts because the book is like an incredible journey and revealing a single part would ruin the effect.
alixcortez
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alixcortez.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by alixcortez »

I recently finished reading Playing Big my Tara Mohr and I think it's a must-read for women in today's society. Mohr is a life and career coach who realized that the women she worked with were universally expressing that their biggest issue in life was 'playing small' and not achieving their real goals. Throughout the book, she deals with how women need present themselves to deal with gender inequality, the ways in which women hold themselves back, how to tap into innate wisdom, and how to stay motivated while pursuing a goal or calling. Much of the book felt like it was written specifically for me and, when I finished, I felt motivated and inspired to start putting her methods into practice in my life.

Along the same lines, I also enjoyed Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg and appreciated her opening up a conversation about women's needs and roles in the workplace and in other areas of life.
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”