Official Review: Training your mind to realize it's poten...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Training your mind to realize it's poten...

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Training your mind to realize it's potential" by Paul Davies.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paul Davies is a self-made business success story, and he wants to show you how to become one, too. Training Your Mind To Realize Its Potential is the second installment of a self-improvement trilogy by Paul Davies. The trilogy is based on the Zen 10 Ox Herding Story, and this book represents stages 5 and 6 of the allegory. The author writes of stage 5: "After regular meditation practice and holding onto the ox tightly, it becomes easier...we have gained some calmness and clarity in our lives". The significance of stage 6, Davies argues, is, "being in the moment and the body and mind being as one". I like how Davies compares the trilogy to Star Wars characters. He writes that Book One is Luke Skywalker, Book Two is Obi Wan Kenobi and Book Three is Yoda.

What begins as a self-help text on harnessing the mind's power becomes a monologue about how to improve the world as a whole. Davies argues that persistence, positive thinking and determination form the basis for progress toward the highest consciousness. The work starts out with chapters on Zen principles, spiritual development, the ego, meditation and the author's condensed autobiography. The latter part of the work discusses public figures Davies admires, philanthropy, global wealth redistribution, and worldwide conflicts. It is an educational read.

Davies cites historical as well as contemporary sources to support his arguments. He includes quotes from Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Carnegie, as well as references to videos on YouTube. The work reads like a dissertation at times. Davies has done extensive research on his subject. One drawback is that many of the quotes are listed one after another for pages on end, and this is overwhelming at times.

This is a dense book. Take your time reading it! There is lots of useful motivational information in this text, even for those who do not subscribe to Buddhist thought. Although the reader may not be familiar with Buddhist principles, the author does an excellent job of explaining each concept introduced. The reader is never left feeling alienated from the subject.

People needing motivation for succeeding in business will enjoy reading this book, as most of the illustrations are business-related ones. Readers with families who are struggling to find ways to reinvent themselves may find this read less helpful. The majority of examples, including the autobiographical information, relate to single people with no dependents and more freedom with their time.

I appreciate Training Your Mind To Realize Its Potential for the new information it presents, but there are lots of grammatical errors and run-on sentences throughout the work. The sheer number of quotes included tends to detract from a smooth read as well. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Training your mind to realize it's potential
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eatsleaves's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. Sounds like an interesting, inspiring, motivating and hopeful book. Too bad about the errors. Good job on the review.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Sounds like a very inspirational and motivating book, but the errors would annoy me. Thanks for the great review.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Good review, Eatsleaves. I don't think this book is for me, but I can see how it may be helpful to others. Also, errors annoy me as well. lol
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Great review. Sounds like an inspiring book. Thank you for sharing :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”