Official Review: How to Talk With Spirits by June Ahern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: How to Talk With Spirits by June Ahern

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Talk With Spirits" by June Ahern.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life after death is perhaps the greatest mystery of our lives. Reincarnation, heaven and hell, ghosts living among us, any combination of those, something we haven't even imagined or absolutely nothing at all, the possibilities are endless. How to Talk With Spirits by June Ahern helps answer those questions (and many more) the best way possible - by presenting the reader with information, helping them find their own answers and frequently reminding them to stay skeptical and not just believe anything, even the things in this book, simply because they're widely believed.

How to Talk With Spirits is a nonfiction guide for exactly what it sounds like - communicating with spirits. Spirits here typically include both spirits and ghosts (the difference, June summarizes, is essentially that ghosts are spirits that remain on Earth), but also includes the possibility of picking up messages or signals from others who are alive. The guide is just shy of 100 pages via Amazon's information (it was 61 in the PDF I read), but those pages are filled to the brim with information equivalent to similar books double the length. Despite having so much information, the book doesn't ever feel boring - this is an insightful guide, not a dry textbook.

Before the book really kicks off, we're given an introduction that gives us a history of the author, June. In 1970, at 19 years old, she was a passenger in a vehicle during a car crash that threw her through the windshield. She sees a woman in white surrounded in light and actually died for 20 seconds. Ever since, she's been able to see and hear dead people and identify things about people without ever having met them before. Since then she's gone ghost hunting, led and been a part in seances and passed all sorts of messages to the living.

Following the introduction, the book is broken into 12 chapters, the first chapter being the longest. This chapter briefly covers a history of ghosts and then answers a wide range of frequently asked questions. These answers cover a wide spectrum of information, and while there is a bit of repetition, it's only because this portion is made in a way that the reader can read only the answers to questions they're interested in without missing anything when skipping portions. From this point forward, chapters explain about spirits and ghosts - both the good and the bad - as well as how to communicate with the good and protect oneself from the bad from preparations to best practices and creating the best, most likely situations for success. These chapters also go into details about methods for speaking with spirits alone or in different forms of seance, acting as a medium, going on ghost hunts and all sorts of other tasty tidbits of knowledge concerning spirits. As she gives information, June frequently references articles and books by other authors, as well as her own interesting experiences and even a YouTube video of one of her own ghost hunts. The last chapter is a simple ESP quiz she's created - just a handful of simple questions that will make you think about what you've seen and felt, then guides you with your results a bit.

I've actually read a couple similar books in the past, but How to Talk With Spirits is my favorite thus far. It uses the terminology properly, but never feels condescending or confusing; it expresses strong beliefs and opinions but never tries to force them upon the reader, instead encouraging safe experimentation and making one's own judgements; it teaches without preaching. Despite the fact that the book needs quite a bit of editing work done and it's slightly repetitive, as some of the information is covered in multiple questions and/or further in the book in more detail, the book definitely deserves 4 out of 4 stars. I can't suggest it to anyone who has closed their minds to the possibility of an afterlife or being able to speak with the dead, but anyone the least bit curious or interested in the topic should give the book a read.

How to Talk With Spirits
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
June8-+
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17384">The Skye in June</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by June8-+ »

I am very happy you found much interesting information in my book, as this is what I hoped for. I appreciate how you got from it that I support keeping a healthy skepticism while investigating the possibilities. I like to "see for myself". I hope your ESP Quiz results assist you in growing your intuitive abilities. Thank you for the heads up about the editing and since another review mentioned it about the PDF I'm thinking I uploaded the wrong version. I'll check. Would you please change Julie to read June? June Ahern.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was very interesting. I have always been curious about ghosts and spirits but I'm too scared to even talk about them :) I hope I will have a chance to read this book. It might overcome my fear. Great review. Congratulations to June Ahern on such a well-written book.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for a good review. Great analysis of the book, and well written. Congrats to the author for a 4-star review as well!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Amazing timing--I've been thinking of doing some research about this! So I bought the book--I'm really looking forward to reading it.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

June8-+ wrote:I am very happy you found much interesting information in my book, as this is what I hoped for. I appreciate how you got from it that I support keeping a healthy skepticism while investigating the possibilities. I like to "see for myself". I hope your ESP Quiz results assist you in growing your intuitive abilities. Thank you for the heads up about the editing and since another review mentioned it about the PDF I'm thinking I uploaded the wrong version. I'll check. Would you please change Julie to read June? June Ahern.
Oh geez, I'm sorry, I just saw this and didn't realize my mistake! I'll reach out to the site owner immediately after finishing this reply. And yes, nothing makes me get over my skepticism faster than a person that actually encourages skepticism. I absolutely agree with you - everyone needs to find their own truth, it's actually the meaning behind my signature "nothing is true, everything is permitted" from the Assassin's Creed games!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I recently finished reading this book and I have to agree that it's a great guide. There's a lot of information--amazing considering that it's a short book!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I have a few questions myself regarding spirits and ghosts. I hope I'll get a better grasp by reading this book.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not my cup of tea as I don't believe in spirits, but it sounds like a great read for believers. It is great that the author shares her own interesting experiences, and I hope that the book was edited by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Mediumship and spirituality are two of my favorite topics. There is certainly more than meets the eyes and even the most skeptics will eventually realize that once something out of the ordinary happens to them, something that has no roots or meaning in anything that we can perceive with our five senses. You have a great review there, CataclysmicKnight.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the author is extremely knowledgeable about this subject. Nonetheless, it's not the book for me. Thanks for the great review. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this and glean some good information from it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Miss ejay
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-ejay.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Miss ejay »

Great review and the book it self is very interesting. Am the type that is always curious about life after death scares me at times though
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This is not my type of read, but it looks like the author has likely done an edit since the initial review and I’m glad you appreciated the book so much!
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great Review. Normally not a non fiction writer, but it appears this book was well thought out and very involved.
Felydey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Felydey »

This is very interesting. I feel like by reading this, it will test the faith we have for God. It’s like the book “Angels and devils” it shows how they are different to each other and it also breaks the prototypes we have or we know about them. I’m looking forward to read this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”