Official Review: Don't Be Yourself: Be A Better Person

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Don't Be Yourself: Be A Better Person

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Be Yourself: Be A Better Person" by David Ross.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don't Be Yourself: Be A Better Person is a book by David Ross written to help men and women understand each other a little better. Basically, this book is a dating guide: how to get a date and how to behave while on a date.

The book is divided into 10 very interesting chapters. It primarily features 3 steps called Relationship Framework: 1) Know yourself and invest in yourself so that you can be a better person. 2) Understand and appreciate the needs and perspectives of others (especially the opposite sex). 3) Think of the best interaction or relationship that makes sense for you and the other person.

The author gives advice on how to improve physical health and overall appearance to develop greater self-esteem and confidence. In addition, he talks about bad habits while on a date as well as topics not sufficiently discussed in adult relationships. The book features qualities, character traits, personality traits, practical skills and physical attributes women want in men. Similarly, it features qualities men want in women. Moreover, it discusses the elements of sex appeal, ways to boost confidence, ideas on how to use frustrated energy in a constructive way, how to overcome approach anxiety and how to improve communication skills.

This is probably one of the most organized books I have ever read. The most important topics are clearly introduced. The book is divided into chapters while the topics and subtopics are carefully enumerated. In addition to explanations are recommendations, though only on selected topics. A summary is provided at the end of every chapter making the explanations even clearer. The title itself is catchy being contradictory to the common saying and belief ‘be yourself’. Initially, I held a view opposite to the book’s title, but the author’s simple but convincing discussions turned me on his side.

However, I noticed a little inconsistency in the writing style. The first few chapters are written in a textbook-like manner. Halfway through the book, the writing starts to feel more relaxed and conversational, thus, more enjoyable. Furthermore, there is too much redundancy throughout the book but more prominently in the first few chapters where several phrases are repeated, like ‘political views’, which is mentioned 4 times in 3 consecutive sentences.

Generally, this is a very interesting book. However, this is only helpful to a limited type of readers, and that is those who have trouble finding themselves a date or having trouble behaving while on a date. Personally, this book is not for me, but I strongly believe reading it will be a big help to a lot of people.

In view of the above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who want to improve themselves, those who want to understand and appreciate others and those who want to form good relationships with other people.

Don't Be Yourself: Be A Better Person
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I really liked reading your well-written and honest review, kimmyschemy06! I'm glad that it was well organized - definitely a plus! I don't believe this book is for me either, but like you said it might help someone who may be having trouble finding a date or needing help during a date.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote:I really liked reading your well-written and honest review, kimmyschemy06! I'm glad that it was well organized - definitely a plus! I don't believe this book is for me either, but like you said it might help someone who may be having trouble finding a date or needing help during a date.
Thank you! Honestly, I couldn't believe there really are people who need help finding a date :)
daveross
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by daveross »

Thanks very much for your review and feedback kimmyschemy06. It seems that you are fortunate not need help finding a date. I hope that my readers become as fortunate as you are. I wrote "Don't Be Yourself: Be A Better Person" to help men and women find a date and also help them turn dates into successful relationships. Many men and women struggle in this area. I hope to make a positive impact.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I really liked your review. The book seems to put a much needed emphasis on becoming a better version of yourself and then find a date.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
daveross

Post by daveross »

One other perspective: For many people, finding a date is easy but finding a date with the right person is not so easy. Millions of men and women join dating sites such as Match, eHarmony, ChristianMingle, etc. to increase their chances of finding the right person. Sometimes they find someone and it is not the right fit. My goal is to provide information that will help men and women find and keep the right person.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

daveross wrote:Thanks very much for your review and feedback kimmyschemy06. It seems that you are fortunate not need help finding a date. I hope that my readers become as fortunate as you are. I wrote "Don't Be Yourself: Be A Better Person" to help men and women find a date and also help them turn dates into successful relationships. Many men and women struggle in this area. I hope to make a positive impact.
You're welcome and thank you for your comment @daveross. It may not be helpful to me but I had fun reading it. I particularly love your advice on sex appeal. I hope you write more books like this one.

-- 03 Apr 2016, 09:28 --
bluemel4 wrote:I really liked your review. The book seems to put a much needed emphasis on becoming a better version of yourself and then find a date.
Thank you. Yes, it does, which makes it one great book.
Trendydoc_73
Favorite Author: Onyeka Uzoma MD
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ricanah</a>
Currently Reading: A briefer history of time
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 35027

Post by Trendydoc_73 »

I think the review reflects the time and effort that must have gone into writing and organizing the book.
The best bit is that it points out those who would most likely benefit from reading the book. :tiphat:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Trendydoc_73 wrote:I think the review reflects the time and effort that must have gone into writing and organizing the book.
The best bit is that it points out those who would most likely benefit from reading the book. :tiphat:
Thank you for your comment. It is a good book and I enjoyed reading it.
daveross

Post by daveross »

I was talking to one of my married friends yesterday and he told me that he enjoyed reading the book. Some of the chapters have information that is helpful for married people. For example, the chapters Women's Wants, Men's Wants, Things Unsaid, Sex Appeal are all chapters that can benefit married couples because they sometimes forget about the things that they did to get their mate. It helps to be reminded of the needs and wants of the opposite sex.
MotherTheresa
Currently Reading: Battlefield of the Mind: Winning the Battle in Your Mind
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mothertheresa.html

Post by MotherTheresa »

Interesting review. I like the title but this is not my type of book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

MotherTheresa wrote:Interesting review. I like the title but this is not my type of book.
Thank you for your comment.
oliverrichmond67

Post by oliverrichmond67 »

Nice! Thank you so much for sharing :D
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

@kimmyschemy

Yikes. Real conversations with real people. Not me. Nice review Kimmy! My conversation skills are lacking, so maybe this book will help.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

oliverrichmond67 wrote:Nice! Thank you so much for sharing :D
You're welcome.

-- 19 Apr 2016, 23:37 --
Cee-Jay Aurinko wrote:@kimmyschemy

Yikes. Real conversations with real people. Not me. Nice review Kimmy! My conversation skills are lacking, so maybe this book will help.
Thank you. It probably will :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”