Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: LIFE: It Is What It Is by Lisa Sugarman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: LIFE: It Is What It Is by Lisa Sugarman

Post Number:#1 by gaporter
» 05 Jan 2016, 21:57

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "LIFE: It Is What It Is" by Lisa Sugarman.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by gaporter
Share This Review

I give Life: It Is What It Is by Lisa Sugarman 3 out of 4 stars. The book is the author’s collection of opinion pieces written over a four year time span for a local newspaper in Massachusetts. They chronicle the author’s life in her small town on a weekly basis. Sometimes the articles are intimate about her family life, sometimes they’re on a broader scale about her town. This book might appeal to readers who are looking for short snippets to read instead of a long novel that requires investment or for people who want to read about a relatable, everyday life.

The author has a normal life with her husband and two teenage daughters. She is busy moving about town and conducting her small town life. Her energy and attitude comes through the pages. The writing style is simple and easy to read, not pretentious or laborious.

In my opinion, the articles written to address her town about local business, such as scandals in the school district, maybe should have been left out. Those details don’t seem relevant to the outside audience and seemed boring. The articles that are written about her revelations about her children growing up, life evolving, or her optimism when things don’t go well are more interesting and relatable, though. Some of her inspiration could be common across the board regardless of where a person lives or what their life looks like.

I do not give this book a full 4 out of 4 rating, though, because some of the articles I believe did not need to be included, such as about local town business. Other articles also seemed to be written because they needed to be done on a deadline for the newspaper publishing rather than because she had these thoughts worth communicating. Some were just mundane. Others however were a nice insight into somebody else’s way of life or a different way of thinking.

The author is incredibly optimistic. It could be energizing to read a few of the short upbeat sections. But it’s worth keeping in mind that she is only another ordinary person who happens to have an opinion piece in her newspaper as an outlet. She is not an expert psychologist by any means. Some of her opinions I disagree with and some I thought didn’t always seem entirely thought out. Overall, I recommend this book for readers who are looking for light reading and something not to take too seriously.

LIFE: It Is What It Is
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like gaporter's review? Post a comment saying so!
gaporter's Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
gaporter

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 80%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: LIFE: It Is What It Is by Lisa Sugarman

Post Number:#2 by bookowlie
» 25 Jan 2016, 11:13

I enjoyed reading your review. I usually like these types of books since you get a feel for the local culture. I can see your point about some of the articles being written on deadline for the author's local newspaper vs. really wanting to communicate her thoughts about a certain subjects.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 254 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 92%

Post Number:#3 by kimmyschemy06
» 07 Feb 2016, 06:08

That was a very honest review. Sounds like an interesting reading material. I think I wold enjoy reading about small town life. Nice job on the review!
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "Change; Become a Winner" by George Boulden
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: Serial K
Bookshelf Size: 373 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 124%

Post Number:#4 by Shelle
» 10 Feb 2016, 13:19

That was a good and honest review. It sounds like picking up a newspaper in a new town and reading the 'happenings' columns - you don't really know the backstory or the ins and outs, but the peek into the town's goings-on is usually interesting.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Shelle's Latest Review: "Breathe..." by PJ Jons
Shelle

Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
Goal Completion: 28%