Official Review: Mary & Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cranej80
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Mary & Me

Post by cranej80 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mary & Me" by Mary Potter Kenyon and Mary Jedlicka Humston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mary and Me A Lasting Link Through Ink was written by Mary Potter Kenyon and Mary Jedlicka Humston. It is a nonfiction book about the friendship. The friendship between these two women over many years of letter writing. They women discussed many topics: the ups and downs of being mothers, writers, and wives. In a time when lots of people communicate through phone calls, email, and texting. These two women grew very close through hand written letters.

The book is written in an interview type style. Each of the chapters present a question and is followed by each Mary's responses. After each chapter there is a guest writer that adds to their stories. These were not stories about Mary and Mary but the guest writers personal stories that added to what Mary and Mary had already presented. This style of formatting the book was great and made it easy to see the differences and similarities between the authors. Reading about their personal opinions and insight into the happenings in their lives is similar to the way the two women learned about each other and built their friendship. Reflecting on their lives in the past; raising children, jobs, writing, and even their health. Each of the women having their own story to tell and telling it through letters to the other. There were also things that Mary and Mary did not discuss like: sex, drugs, and politics. There is a chapter specifically for the topics they did not discussed.

The book is really put together well. Blending all the different authors one would think it might fell choppy; but it flows naturally through the topics and from one topic to the next. It was so real that it made me reflect on my life and the choices I make when communicating with others. I wonder if I would have stronger friendships if I wrote letters instead of texting, emailing, or phone calls.

The only negative I have for the book is it ended. Not that the ending wasn't a good finish to a great book. I just keep finding myself wanting more stories from these two Mary's. Interesting how a book can grab a hold of you and make you want more. A sign of an amazing book.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would read it again and am looking forward to read other books these two authors have written. I really connected to different parts of each of these two women's lives. I enjoyed the realness of the events in their lives. I would recommend this book to any mother, wife, or writer.

Mary & Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like cranej80's review? Post a comment saying so!

Levi
2017 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 543
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Post by Levi »

While this is not something I would normally read, it is an intriguing topic regardless. I actually tried to start a letter revolution once before by getting off social media and telling everyone I would only talk on the phone or write letters. No one called and I only had one pen pal ha ha. But it was fantastic. I still love getting letters. Great job, love the enthusiasm!! Congrats to the authors on a great review!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway

cranej80

Post by cranej80 »

I love getting letters as well: but am not the best at writing them. Thank you for your nice comment. This was my first review and was nervous on the outcome. Hoping that I get better at writing them.

Levi
2017 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 543
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html

Post by Levi »

You will, don't worry. It gets easier every time. Just take your time and edit numerous times. And have fun!!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway

cranej80

Post by cranej80 »

Thanks for the advice. Great website so far.

rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 190
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 190
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 74
2017 Reading Goal: 190
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Nice review! The book sounds like it is very interesting and you presented it quite well in your review! Good job!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Twelve Slays of Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. The format sounds interesting, with a guest writer who add to the stories in each chapter. The letter-writing reminds me of a pen pal from Germany I had when I was 10 or 11 years old. We even exchanged Christmas ornaments! I was amazed at how good her English was, even though she told me they are taught English in school from a very early age.

Congrats on your first review! Escapeartist gave good advice - edit the review a few times before submitting. You will hopefully catch the errors and you may also notice something that doesn't sound right. Above all, have fun. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”