Official Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Re: Official Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by jennyd2003 »

Thanks for such a good review. I really don't like history books. This one is different though and reminds me of "The Diary of Anne Frank" with the first hand accounts given. Great job!
Lildivadesi
Currently Reading: The Seven Deadly Sins of Psychology
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lildivadesi.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Lildivadesi »

This seems like such an interesting book. I don't usually read history novels but I might give this one a try! I love the fact that it was written by the son of the pilot and not just a random person!
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I love war narratives especially those that tell of our forefathers in the WWII. I will love to read this book.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Our history tells much how where we've come from. I am happy that this book brings some of the events that too place in the WWII.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I often find historical non-fiction enjoyable, and the inclusion of letters and journal entries sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I don't usually read novels about war, but I do consider WWII to be probably the most important war in our history. Our brave men (and women) saved us from what truly could have been a horrible fate if Hitler would have been allowed to continue to conquer the world. So, stories like this are important and I commend people like Steve Snyder who keep telling them. Thank you for your detailed and insightful review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
queen_donaire
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by queen_donaire »

Thanks for the review. It has given me a really good preview of the book. As chaotic as a war may be, we sure do have something to learn from it. :)
Phikim
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phikim.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Phikim »

Fantastic review. I believe this would have been mistaken for a nice movie. I love the turn of events in the story. The plot is adequately 'dressed' with fascination. Congrats on being BOTD.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Post by TIGER999 »

Although I have heard of Howard Snyder & the Susan Ruth B-17, I don't know much about it. So the up close & personal account of it by Howard's son, the author, would certainly provide exciting info & insight into that story in history. Thanks for an informative review!
Black League
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-league.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Black League »

From the sample its sounds like a good read...Steve sounds very passionate about his research on Susan Ruth and it reminds of a World War 2 diary i read by this Jewish lady.
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Shaat
Currently Reading: Rich Dad and Poor Dad
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Shaat »

This book is really very interesting and emotional. This book reminds us the hardships of our soldiers who sacrifice their lives for the sake of the country it's very emotional. The review is very well written thanks for such an awesome review.
Shaat
Currently Reading: Rich Dad and Poor Dad
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Shaat »

This book is really very interesting and emotional. This book reminds us the hardships of our soldiers who sacrifice their lives for the sake of the country it's very emotional. The review is very well written thanks for such an awesome review.
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

This book is obviously very important and interesting as it's based on true facts, those of Second World War!! History of this period is very important so as to be able-if not be an History Scientist-to explain some facts of today, based on laws of Deterinims of History, that goes from that time till today. It's true that knowing and studying history is more important than anything else, as if we don't know history, we cannot have a correct judgement easily, on facts happening today in humanity and whole world. Through history we learn to explain, we learn to judge present correctly and may be predict future. We learn much on human behavorism, thus facts of human psychology that came to action, and judge also between reason and absurd!!
We also learn how to be disciplines in life in such difficult moments as those of Second World War, and also how much force has human soul and existence to bear, suffer and finally survive!!, For heros who died on the name of their Ideology, and were sacrificed for humanity, we have a good example to imitate in future, if necessary! Patience and braveness are the two secrets to win essentially hard battles!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Your review thoroughly reminds us that we should appreciate our heroes who have laid their lives on the line moreover making sacrifices for their people, country and beliefs.
vanessaonelove
Currently Reading: A Return to Love
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaonelove.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B013EX0QM6

Post by vanessaonelove »

I love WWII stories. There is something about the brutalityy of this time and the underlying humaness that it reveals that draws me to these stories. Ordinarily I wouldn't pick up a book about it - TV documentaries are the usual way I consume this genre but the review gives the feel of a very personal and human story which is often hard to find given that there a very few alive to tell the tales. Based on this I think I am adding this one to one self and hope to read it soon. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”