Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joan Jepchirchir 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan-jepchirchir-2.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Joan Jepchirchir 2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's memoir, A Dream For Peace, is about the author's work for Algerian independence as well as achieving peace among Arab and African cultures, Christians and Muslims, and developed and developing countries. The author begins with his youth, then continues on to his medical school days, and lastly to the United States, where he obtained his Ph.D. and became a Yale professor.

As a student in France, he became active in politics, and this involvement lasted the rest of his life. As he emphasizes, his political engagement was a product of his circumstances, not his decision. He was especially affected by mistreatment and racism in France, a country that colonized his people, where he would encounter problems with police wrongfully accusing and propagating hatred. Despite the term, many Algerians who sought justice peacefully discovered that it did not better their position. They were either killed or imprisoned, as the author puts it. Later, during the Algerian conflict of Independence, during which "the French destroyed over 8,000 villages and relocated over 2 million Algerians to concentration camps," and throughout his own people's civil conflict, he worked in diplomacy and strove to restore peace.

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's memoir is well-written and describes his life. We get a glimpse inside the life of a freedom warrior, ambassador, husband, and presidential adviser. Berrah's character inspires, providing insight into a nation's struggle for independence along the way. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and applaud the author's brilliance and deep passion for his homeland, Algeria.

While reading the book, I detected no flaws and believed it was exceptionally well edited. There was nothing about the book that I didn't like. Because of these considerations, I rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars.

I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in politics, society, or history. This memoir can empower everyone who cares. Despite all of the horrific things that happened and conspired against him, Dr. Ghoulem persisted and had faith that he could make a difference, and he accomplished it.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”