Review of The House On Dogbone St.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shanesha Sammerson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Review of The House On Dogbone St.

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The House On Dogbone St." by Julie Duthie.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The House on Dogbone Street is a poignant memoir by Julie Duthie that delves into her troubled childhood and the impact it had on her life. The book is a raw and honest account of the author's experiences growing up with a mentally ill mother who was neglectful and unpredictable. The author's vivid descriptions of her mother's episodes of screaming and fainting provide a chilling insight into the turmoil she endured as a young child.

Despite the challenges she faced, the author found solace in the people around her who stepped in to care for her when her mother was unable to do so. Her need for maternal love led her to seek out female relationships that provided her with the support and affection she craved. However, the lack of love from her mother had a lasting impact on her, leading her to struggle with anxiety, doubt, and a deep sense of mistrust.

The author's relationship with her father was also fraught with difficulties, as he struggled to provide for his family and often left them to fend for themselves. Even though the author appreciates and respects her father's efforts to raise her and her siblings, his inattention has left her feeling abandoned.

One aspect of the book that may be uncomfortable for some readers is the author's account of her father's sexuality. While it is not a major theme in the book, the author's frank discussion of her father's gay identity may be jarring for some readers. However, this aspect of the book is presented matter-of-factly and is integral to the author's understanding of her father and her relationship with him.

Overall, The House on Dogbone Stree is a powerful memoir that offers a moving insight into the lasting impact of childhood trauma. The author's willingness to share her experiences with honesty and vulnerability is a testament to her courage and strength, and the book is sure to resonate with readers who have also experienced the effects of neglect, abandonment, or mental illness. It was exceptionally well edited showing no errors. While I enjoyed the majority of the book, the sexuality elements did not appeal to me, thus I rated it 4 out of 5 stars.

The House On Dogbone St.
View: on Bookshelves
Eze-Ogo Kal Dimuo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-ogo-kal-dimuo.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Eze-Ogo Kal Dimuo »

Memoirs are great for the lessons learnt from authors who have found courage to tell and share their experiences. The themes surrounding the author's life point to an unstable upbringing also an inspiration to read how the author survived. Great review.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

The House on Dogbone Street sounds like a poignant memoir that delves into the lasting impact of childhood trauma. I appreciate your honest feedback, and it's great to hear that the book is exceptionally well edited. I hope to read this book soon
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I enjoyed reading this review. The positive and negative aspects were properly outlined. It highlights the good job the reviewer did. I recommend this book to all.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

A gay father? I'd literally break down if I heard that about my dad. I wonder how much pain her mother was in when she found out. I hope they were able to hesl properly.
reviewerbook17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerbook17.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by reviewerbook17 »

A really exceptional book that contains a lot of life lessons. I would love to check out this wonderful book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”