Review of A Soldier Against All Odds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Review of A Soldier Against All Odds

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Soldier Against All Odds" by LTC Jason Pike.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Soldier Against All Odds by Lt. COL Jason G. Pike is a beautifully written autobiography that tells the amazing and inspiring story of the author and his rise to the apogee of his military career. Just like the title of this beautiful book entails, Pike continued to move forward in life, sticking to his five P's, a principle that he stubbornly persisted with, hinged on the power of preparation in producing a wonderful performance in the end.

Pike's story even motivates us all the more when we are shown what this determined man had to overcome on his way to the top. According to this book, this was not a man who had the best of headstarts in life. His father had been a man who fed from dumpsters and cleaned up after stooling in the mountains with laurel leaves, yet his humble beginnings did not in any way discourage the author from persistence. Even Pike's learning disability which was discovered at a very young age, did not stop him from getting college degrees. Through the power of preparation, he continued to overcome, achieving extraordinary academic success and making himself and his family as proud as they could be. But how did he do this?

This book had many positive aspects to it, and I loved the author's discipline in making this autobiography actually an autobiography. Many times when people write autobiographies, they end up doctoring the story, maybe to endear themselves to the reading audience or to create a version of themselves that they can be proud of, but this was a very honest work. The author even added pictorial pieces of evidence of his military career. I also loved the way the book was written in a simple manner to make it easy to understand. The words used by the author were simple.

In addition, this book portrayed many interesting themes like fatherhood, jealousy, education, persistence, family, love, and many others. The theme of education is one I feel is important for the reader to understand. This book has indeed reiterated that for people that come from poor backgrounds, a sound education is a very important requirement for success. Sometimes the money isn't there. All that's left is a big brain that can take us to the top if we remain persistent.

I am impressed that the book had no negative aspects at all. I would like to mention, though, that I noticed the existence of vulgar words in many places. However, what is a military story without a couple of vulgar words here and there? I feel that the vulgar words actually added to the authenticity of the work.

Even with the presence of vulgar words, which I have pointed out, this book was amazing. Therefore, I rate the work five out of five stars, and I recommend it to people out there that need motivation.

A Soldier Against All Odds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

The author's determination and persistence despite his humble beginnings and learning disability are truly motivating. Great review!
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I enjoyed reading this review. The positive and negative aspects were properly outlined. It highlights the good job the reviewer did. I recommend this book to all.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

I will always have extremely high regard for military officials. I know first hand it isnt easy and they're greatly vulnerable. This is a shout out to you all. Thank you always for your sacrifice.
reviewerbook17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerbook17.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by reviewerbook17 »

This seems like an amazing work of art and I would love to be a part of that by trying out this book.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review portrays "A Soldier Against All Odds" by Lt. COL Jason G. Pike as a beautifully written and inspiring autobiography. The author's determination, despite humble beginnings and a learning disability, is emphasized, along with the power of preparation. The reviewer appreciates the honesty and simple writing style of the book, as well as the inclusion of pictorial evidence from the author's military career. While some vulgar language is present, it adds to the authenticity of the story. Overall, the review rates the book five out of five stars and highly recommends it as a motivating read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”